Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
severe hangover!
so two nights ago I drank 1.5 to 2 bottles of wine.... and the hangover that I had afterwards was crazy. I woke up at 7 am with heart palpitations, my heart beating to 160 bpm.... sweat was dripping down my face like water... It was almost like my heart was on overdrive. Anyways, I did not go to emergency because I thought hey... its just a really crappy hangover. Throughout the day my heartbeat was at about 124. Well, today I feel exhausted but my heart beat has decreased, I dont feel the heart palpitations anymore. Last night my resting heart rate was 80bpm and today it is at 100 bpm while sitting down. I m guessing my body is just in the recouperating mode today. I will not drink that much wine ever again!!!

would you go to the hospital for these symptoms? or just ride it out? Is there anything the hospital could even do ?

Don't worry about it...
just take a rest, eat healthy things, sleep well and it's going to be better very soon.

First of all, seeking medical advice here is a strange choice. You have no idea about the quality of any opinions you get on a forum like this. Just search on google "racing heart alcohol", and you will find some good info, but again, check the source. There are tons of crap medical advice on the net.

What you experienced is a common response to drinking too much alcohol too fast. A racing heart rate alone is not a major health concern IF it doesn't last long (more than an couple hours) AND your heart is otherwise healthy. Your symptoms lasted long enough to be a concern, but it sounds like your body is taking care of itself. If you have other symptoms like dizziness, weakness, or confusion, see a doctor.

I am considering going to see a doctor. Trouble is if I go to the doctor it means I have to use energy, and right now I dont have that much. I am able to eat some food and drink, but I feel so tired just getting up feels like a chore -_- : My muscles are sore and my eyes feel pretty tired. Feel like I cant take too many deep breaths lol. I ve had severe hangovers before and gotten over it, just not this bad.

I've been to the hospital twice because of my heart, but everything checked out as pretty much fine. I do need to do an echogram every year for the next 5 years to check and make sure my heart is ok though -_-.

I just dont like the idea of going to the hospital, waiting long hours at emergency to see a doctor, only to tell me that everything is fine and I need rest... bah.

Alcohol constricts your blood vessels. When your blood vessels constrict, you get very little blood pumping through your body.

This has the effect of "hangover", migraines, and headaches, as well as nausea and other like symptoms.

If you are not allergic to aspirin, then I suggest one aspirin an hour, with at least 6oz if water....every hour for two or three hours....depending on how bad you feel.

The aspirin helps make the blood flow easier, and the water helps loosen the constricted blood vessels.

If you still have symptoms this long after drinking and have a history of heart issues, I recommend you see a doctor. You haven't mentioned your age. Is ER your only option? If it takes too much energy to go see a doctor, call a friend to help you get there.

DrPhibes Wrote:Alcohol constricts your blood vessels. When your blood vessels constrict, you get very little blood pumping through your body.

I think it's the opposite: alcohol is a vasodilator. That means your blood vessels expand and your heart has to work harder to keep up healthy blood pressure throughout your body and to your brain.

Geminize Wrote:I think it's the opposite: alcohol is a vasodilator. That means your blood vessels expand and your heart has to work harder to keep up healthy blood pressure throughout your body and to your brain.

I only know what my doctor told me.
And thats what he told me to do if I ever got drunk again.
But I dont intend on ever getting drunk again.

DrPhibes Wrote:I only know what my doctor told me.
And thats what he told me to do if I ever got drunk again.
But I dont intend on ever getting drunk again.

That happens afterwards, when alcohol has been metabolized towards acetaldehyde and then acetate and then Acetyl-CoA, and it's a compensatory mechanism for the vasodilating effects of alcohol in the first place..

Geminize is right..

Of course the ultimate best solution is yours Dr. Phibes: not to get drunk at all.

Ok, if the source of the problem is alcohol...

don't drink it maybe, anonymous?

Maybe you have a heart condition or who knows, you may even have Alcohol Dehydrogenase deficiency and you can't properly metabolize ethanol..

all of that very dangerous and you should outright avoid heavey drinking all together

southbiochem Wrote:That happens afterwards, when alcohol has been metabolized towards acetaldehyde and then acetate and then Acetyl-CoA, and it's a compensatory mechanism for the vasodilating effects of alcohol in the first place..

Geminize is right..

Of course the ultimate best solution is yours Dr. Phibes: not to get drunk at all.

Ok, if the source of the problem is alcohol...

don't drink it maybe, anonymous?

Maybe you have a heart condition or who knows, you may even have Alcohol Dehydrogenase deficiency and you can't properly metabolize ethanol..

all of that very dangerous and you should outright avoid heavey drinking all together

Or drink less, and drink mixed drinks instead of "straight up" drinks.
If you are going to wean yourself off of alcohol, then mixed drinks would be the answer to that.

Alcohol has an affinity to water. You may be suffering from dehydration.

Drinking water in between alcoholic beverages helps greatly to reduce or eliminate hang-overs.