Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you Diabetic?
Diabetic....its a scary word for a lot of people. I know it was for me. But low and behold, I was diagnosed as "diabetic" in 2009. I have Type 2 diabetes, I have to take pills everyday.

Its a bitch for me, because I have to exercise MORE and eat LESS, and stay off sugars and starches....which pretty much leaves me with "rabbit food".

Its a hard adjustment, but its something you have to do.

There is a new medical idea going around now that, for Type 2 people who are overweight, that if they get liposuction (get rid of most of the fat), that it will lessen the diabetes or it goes away all together. There have already been some experiments with diabetic people who have had liposuction, where their diabetes "went away".

Unfortunately, I am one of those people who cannot afford this procedure. Nor am I one of the people who can go on a diet, because of how and what I am supposed to eat now. I seem to gain weight from everything I eat, and cant get rid of it, because going on a diet would just make things worse apparently.

Each diabetic is different too. Whats good for one, is bad for another. I may be able to eat SOME sugar, but there are those who cannot touch sugar in any form.

For some people, it messes with their lives. And sometimes the medications have side effects.

And not all people become diabetics because of over eating or sugar intake. There are many, many different things that can cause you to go diabetic. For me, I over used sinus medications when I was younger. There was no warnings on these products that it would cause liver and kidney damage. Drug companies just started putting the warning on over the counter sinus medications in the past three years. So, its different for everybody.

All in all, its a bitch and a pain in the ass to have to live like this.

How many peeps here on GS have diabetes?
How has it affected your life?

Only my old dog sheba, she had an injection every morning, she was such a beautiful dog. She lived till about 17.

Its annoying you cant have a procedure that other people can have for money, im sorry, theres probably other cures out there, in the atmosphere, just waiting to be found, probably there already and someones trying to find a way to make it inaffordable to regular people!

MisterTinkles Wrote:There is a new medical idea going around now that, for Type 2 people who are overweight, that if they get liposuction (get rid of most of the fat), that it will lessen the diabetes or it goes away all together. There have already been some experiments with diabetic people who have had liposuction, where their diabetes "went away".

Meebles is a type I diabetic..

myself, not yet, but pretty much my whole family is, and I'm a fucking inbred so on both sides....I'll get it most likely

abdominal fat does account as a risk for developing diabetes, as far as I know, because hyperthrophyc adipose cells counter the liposynthetic role of insulin, hence, more and more insulin is produced, which puts a strain on the panchreas and eventually damages it...same with crazy amounts of sugar, will lead to insulin overproduction..

but I've never heard that once the damage is done removing fat will turn you non-diabetic

of course, like you said it, some medications have nasty side effects and damage some organs, like the panchreas..

Whatever the reason is: I believe this is one big evolutionary flaw we are yet to overcome..

because we have more than one mechanism for fighting low blood surgar: glucocorticoids, adrenaline, glucagon, etc...a lot of hormones can elevate sugar levels, but we rely on a single polypeptide to do the opposite, and it is produced in but 1 organ and within one type of speciallized cells..so, any damage to those cells and bam...diabetes will strike...

of course this was never a problem in the time when people didn't overdo sugar or consumed potentially damaging medications..

the next step in evolution, if we hang arround long enough, will be to develope alternative hypoglycemic mechanisms, I believe

Anyway...sorry to hear Tinkles, you are one of those unlucky bastards who have to be extra carefull...I know it sucks..

I was diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic earlier this year. It is controlled by diet (which I have been awful about lately) because I am just over the line of what is considered Diabetic instead of pre-Diabetic. What really sucks for me is that I am allergic to ALL artificial sweeteners, and have a ton of other food allergies also, so my diet is extremely limited (and I must be extremely cautious about eating the same foods too often lest I develop new food allergies). I think for me I am going to try to stick to a vegan Diabetic diet, it is much less restrictive as far as portion sizes and calorie counting is concerned.

My sister is also Diabetic, once she lost weight she was no longer insulin dependent and her blood tests are now normal.

Actually having to deal with Bob's diabetes I have learned that a diet higher in proteins is best for diabetes, not just 'rabbit food'.

Also, he is allowed sugars, just not all the time and in moderation. I went to a special meeting with a dietician a few months back to learn as much useful data about cooking for Bob as possible.

Since I started cooking for him he has gone from 225, his last weigh in was 204 at Doctors. Its not that I am starving him or denying him, I just have been balancing out what is on his plate. Yes there is a lot more veg in his diet than he used to eat, but then the night I found him he had an open can of Hormel Chili next to his chair - that was his 'supper'.... Cry

As for exercise... There is a lot of added movement you can throw into your day. I make it a habit to go up and down every aisle at the grocers not because I have items to pick up, but its added exercise. Its little stuff that adds up more than joining a gym.

I rarely ride elevators, and escalators terrify me - imagine being stuck on an escalator for many long hours waiting for the power to come back on. Those things don't even have escape hatches! :tongue:

Type 1 diaebetes. When I was 13 years old I got really sick and at first I thought it was the flu and I didnt want to go to the hospital. I was laying down watching tv the night I almost died and my mom came in and I was Hallucinating and I slapped her across the face. Then I was going to go to the bathroom and my mom found me passed out on the floor.

They rushed me to the ER. Then I got flown to Pitts Children Hospital. Turns out my blood was 1800. :O and I then it dropped to fast almost causing my brain to swell.

Having diabetes affects my life because first I always need insurance because I am totally depentant on insulin without it I will die. I also have to becareful of how much exersise I do so my blood sugar doesn't drop

I've been a type 1 diabetic for about 12 years now, but it got easier to deal with as time went on, especially with the new pump i'm on( at least when were not dealing with some bullshit from the insurance company about coverage, but as of now it's mostly smooth sailing).

jaxc Wrote:I've been a type 1 diabetic for about 12 years now, but it got easier to deal with as time went on, especially with the new pump i'm on( at least when were not dealing with some bullshit from the insurance company about coverage, but as of now it's mostly smooth sailing).

What kind of pump do you have?

my grandmother is and has to takes her jabs usually when we go for our dinner - my friend was diagnosed about 2 years ago - he is a huge drinker,, he did loose weight and cut his drinking back at first - now he drinks more than ever - we've told him point blank he;s gonna kill himself but he wont stop = he had too kids as well..selfish

I have a diabetic friend who doesnt take care of himself. He eats LOTS of sugars and starches and LOTS of red meat. Rarely ever eats any veggies. And I have to say, I have let his bad habits rub off on me a bit.