Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So... part three
Today Doctor has decided Bob needs to go to rehab for physical therapy, and health care.

Apparently I have been doing the job of at least two people this past weekend. So tomorrow (fingers crossed, because Medicare/Medicaid is involved here) Bob will be moved to a rehab facility for an unknown period of time, depending on how much he actually works towards getting back on his feet.

Since he developed a bed sore in hospital on his buttocks, nurse wants me to move Bob every two hours tonight (roll him while he sleeps). So tonight I will be getting even less sleep, since I will have to wake up every 2 hours to roll him. No he can't roll himself. One of the minor issues I have been dealing with and which got me to thinking that hospital sent him home too soon.

Visting nurses (three of them so far) fully agree he should not have been sent home, and apparently the quality of care received was under par - that bed sore for 9 days hospital stay is unpardonable.

He hasn't had a bowel movement since the second day at hospital. That diarrhea issue - the hospital fixed that and sent him home constipated Rolleyes.

They didn't move him enough or at all while in hospital, ergo the bedsore - which is compounded by his diabetes. No physical therapy, no walking, thus every measure of gain he got since his June hospital stay has been lost. He can't even stand up from his chair, it takes two people to get him on his feet. Walking forget about it. He can barely make the three feet between chair and bed. Bathroom is way too far.

There are a few other things that went wrong, which by the sound of it there is a legal case here. So after I get Bob transferred to rehab I will be seeing his Family Law attorney (on retainer all the time I understand) and see what we can do there.

So this is my weekend so far - still waiting for Monday to arrive.Xyxthumbs

Ha!

Oh well, what can I say, if he goes back and there's an attourney involved, it can only be a bit better for you, no?

I can't wait what the siblings will say about it...although if it's being paid by the state...who knows..

anyway, if it does happen, get some rest, mad elf..

Hang in there fella.

Yeah lets see maybe tomorrow they can get him into rehab - or Wednesday... Unless I call 9-11 and have him go to hospital...

His doctor thinks he has to be transferred directly from hospital, the administrator of rehab said no - a hospital stay in the past 30 days of 3 day length or more. This conversational exchange has taken 5 hours because both of these individuals don't answer the own phone - no instead they have to call you back at their earliest convenience.

This is the problem with American Health Care, way too many fucking rules and regulations, no communication or understanding between the specialties, hell even at hospital the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing and all through this is people more concerned about the Almighty Dollah over the patient.

Of course when you call the doctor you don't get him directly, instead he has to call you back when he gets a round-to-it which means its now 5:45 and everyone has decided to go home for the night to rest and sleep and eat and shower and all of those loverly things I used to do.... Grr.

Meanwhile, I have another night of 1.5 hour 'sleeps' punctuated by single-handedly turning the patient from side to side to keep his stage one pressure sore from developing into an ulcer or worse.

Well I will get anywhere between 2 weeks to a month of rest/sleep and what not while Bob is in rehab... There is the bright spot.

Dont remember if I ever mentioned this before.....

Are you getting paid by the state? I think you can get $100 a week from the state for unlicensed home care. I know here in Texas you can do that, but I think someone in the family has to sign you up as the caretaker. Im not sure if they do this in CA, but you might check it out.

And Im still harping on you calling the State Bar Assoc to find you a lawyer that can help you out.

If you have kept all the receipts, paperwork, and have at least two signed statements from people who know you are taking care of this man, you can get the maximum in small claims court ($5000), if the family refuses to reimburse you for anything after he passes on. You dont need a lawyer for small claims court, only proof of your claims. A letter from your roommate, and one or two letters from doctors on your behalf would be good.
That is if you dont get a lawyer, which I still say you should.

I would also file a grievance against that place that didnt take care of him, where he got the sores at.
I think you would report them to the state, I just dont know which office.

Bob makes too much money for me to be paid by the state to take care of him. That here in California is $7.50 an hour. We (Bob and I) checked that out several months ago. He dropped the subject as soon as he found out that he makes too much money.

Actually I have my name on record at Hospital as his 'caregiver', Gentiva (physical therapy, visiting nurse, and occupational therapy) also has my name on file as 'caregiver'. His primary physician has my phone number at at least my first name as 'caregiver'.

Right now I can't think straight. Understand I'm already exhausted here, waking up every 4 hours to take blood sugars, to turn him, etc - its taking its toll. Once I get him into rehab I will be able to drink more clearly, I mean think more clearly.... LOL

It sucks, I'm too responsible a person to actually drink on the job like I most likely should be doing.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:It sucks, I'm too responsible a person to actually drink on the job like I most likely should be doing.

You live in CA and you are [B]not DRUNK before you go to work?????[/B]

OMG! How are you staying out of jail?????

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:Actually I have my name on record at Hospital as his 'caregiver', Gentiva (physical therapy, visiting nurse, and occupational therapy) also has my name on file as 'caregiver'. His primary physician has my phone number at at least my first name as 'caregiver'.

Awwwww, hell shitfire boy!!! You got all the proof you need then!!!
All you need is to talk to a lawyer now....even if its just for information.

Here in Texas there are free legal lines you can call once a month, and talk anonymously to a real lawyer for information.

You need to contact the CA State Bar to see if there is something like that in your area. If not, then there are lawyers who do give free consultations over the phone.
You dont have to get out and go to them, you can do it over the phone.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:It sucks, I'm too responsible a person to actually drink on the job like I most likely should be doing.

Don't make me slap you....seriously.....

if anything your crappy weeks have been taking you away from booz..

I'll be one happy chipper guy about that

southbiochem Wrote:Don't make me slap you....seriously.....

if anything your crappy weeks have been taking you away from booz..

I'll be one happy chipper guy about that

Oh, SB.......but he LIKES to be slapped!!!!!
Msn-slappingMsn-slappingMsn-slappingMsn-slappingMsn-slapping