Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hobbit, desolation of Smaug
A buddy asked me to report what I thought about this movie after I watched it Smile.
It was pretty good, and the final song at the end of the movie was.... EPIC!

music actually starts at 40 secs

What did you guys think of the movie, how many Tolkien fans we got on here? Smile

One Tolkien fan here Luxhello
And I did like the latest movie Smile

I really liked it, specifically (used a spoiler to hide spoilers for anyone who doesn't want to see them),

Spoiler:

Thanks for the spoiler alerts! It will be weeks before the one little theater in my community gets the Hobbit/Smaug. Sad

I loved reading Tolkien when I was a teen, and have enjoyed the movies so far (except the goblin battle in last year's installment. Way overdone!).

..just watched it Wink

I liked it a lot and I totally agree, the song in the end is pretty good
as well ;D

A fan of Tolkien here, and also of the LOTR movie trilogy.
At the moment I only watched 'An Unexpected Journey' but I'm going to watch this second chapter soon. The first movie was ok, on a completely different level in comparison of the three LOTR (which imho, are one of the best Hollywood production of the last decades, amazing direction, actors, cg, music, plot, everything).

The Hobbit was ok, full of fan service like The White Council, what an orgasm, but I would like to see also Cirdan, Celeborn, Glorfindel, etc... Obviously you cannot add Glorfindel now, when you've skipped his part in the LOTR... Also the badass Azog.

I'm a little worried about Tauriel and the plot twisting, but I'm curious to see the parts with Thranduil, Beorn, Smaug and the fall of the of The Necromancer (I hope in a battle at Dol Guldur, maybe in the Third film, contemporary of the Battle of Five Armies)

Etc...

The Hobbit was one of the first books I ever read and it's a pretty important memory of my childhood along with the LOTR trilogy. I haven't seen The Desolation of Smaug yet, but I didn't really care for the first movie at all. It seemed overall A LOT less inspired than Jackson's previous trilogy; it took a lot less time to make and a lot of characters (Saruman and Galadriel amongst others) seemed to have been written in for no apparent reason. I was also kind of sad to see the high reliance on CG; the more authentic effects from the LOTR trilogy made it seem like Jackson really, really cared about the project; enough to invest an insane amount of time and effort. The Hobbit doesn't feel that way at all.

People say the second one is better though, so maybe I'll like that one?

HumbleTangerine Wrote:but I didn't really care for the first movie at all. It seemed overall A LOT less inspired than Jackson's previous trilogy;...etc...
I agree, and the worst thing is: they're working on this project since years.
Honestly The Hobbit was my most anticipated movie EVER, I'll been waiting for years after the first rumors...
One of the main problem (except for the plot twist) is that at the beginning Del Toro was working on it, then he left the project and PJ and his staff have to adjust and do many things at the 'last minute'.
I wasn't happy to hear about Del Toro, cause he's too much into CG and visual effects, maybe good for shitty superheroes, where PJ is more into realistic special effects, costumes etc, a lot more perfectionist that the 'fast food' Del Toro.
And at the end he left... But he already did too much stupid things on the movie...

Ed Sheeran - I See Fire

Big fan of both lortr and the hobbit and despite what everyone seems to say I liked the latest one it was a bit different but no film is after all exactly like the book!