Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you want to live if........
Not trying to be a downer or anything....but a recent story in the news has got me wondering....

If (for whatever reason) you went into the hospital and then were diagnosed as "brain dead"............would you want to be left on life support machines or have the "plug pulled"?

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuUxpv-fRLLrxkjWXJsTZ...1b_yTn3lOI]

I think I would want to be on life support as long as possible. You never know what might happen, or what scientific discoveries might be made the next day.

I would want to be unplugged. I do not want to live on Machines. This is why I gave my brother power of attorney over me if this happens because my parents won't pull the plug but my brother and I both do not want to live on machines.

Id rather be dead, no choice. I could not think of anything more terrible.

Im not gambling on the chance of a scientific discovery in my life time and even IF, i dont trust the speed of development or that i,ll be first in line

Absolutely wound not want to live...
Rip the plug out of the wall as fast as possible Lol

i would want the plug pulled on me, being a vegetable would be awful, i would only be a burden on those around me, and at that point i mine as well be dead anyways, so pulling the plug would seem the most logical and merciful thing to do

Pull the plug for me as I'm a organ donor and this would be the perfect scenario for it.. And let's face it I won't be using them!

NO.

Honestly is not only about 'brain dead'.

I have a very old grandma, she lives only "thanks" to an aggressive medical treatment. She's not able to walk, she's not able to eat solid food and even with the liquid she can die, she's not strong enough even to talk for few minutes, she has got something like a Alzheimer, so, she lives in bed, since 10 years, with a lot of tubes in her body.
Crazy. An enormous humiliation, the crazy love of her sons (my auntie and father).
Also the quality of the life of my auntie and her family is not so good, there is a person 24/7 caring of my grandma, there are other people which helps, but in her head, my auntie is completely stuck by the presence of her mother.

Every year, during the summer she cannot stand the heat (etc) and she goes to the hospital many times, and everytime I hope she would die, for her and for the people around her.

Ariel Sharón, the ex-Israli Prime Minister has been in a coma for eight years and now his organs are failing. There is no way that I would like to live like that. It wouldn't be living, it would be a living death. I would be far better off dead.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

LONDONER Wrote:Ariel Sharón, the ex-Israli Prime Minister has been in a coma for eight years and now his organs are failing. There is no way that I would like to live like that. It wouldn't be living, it would be a living death. I would be far better off dead.

Totally agree.

And knowing that you might be aware when you're in a coma...can't imagine how it feels when you even can't react but understand everything... :/

I'm an organ donor, so in this event my organs would be harvested (I hope)...
If I wasn't a donor I'd want to remain alive.. I mean, it's not like I'm consciously aware of my horrible quality of life, but I've made prior commitments, so it's not an option I can choose.