Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What brings back happy memories for you?
I'm curious, what things bring back happy memories to you and why?

For me the thing that brings back good memories is cheddar cheese popcorn. Before things went downhill with my parents, my dad used to always take me to a shopping mall in my city every weekend when he had custody of me. Inside this mall there was a popcorn vendor and my dad would buy me a small bag of cheddar cheese popcorn (My parents divorced when I was 5 and he did this every weekend for around 3 1/2 years). I look back at those times and that was one of the few times as a kid that I was able to feel like a kid and to actually have a dad before he became mental and abandoned me (good riddance btw, long story).

So every time I eat cheddar cheese popcorn I'm reminded of simpler times in my life and remembering what it was like to have a good and caring dad. And even though its been around 18 years, that vendor is still there. Thinking I should get some cheddar cheese popcorn soon Smile

Hey! Mine seems so trivial and silly in comparison to yours, but every time I listen to "Complicated" by Avril Lavigne, I get sent right back to so many childhood memories. Playing laser tag in my friend's basement, my friends 8th birthday party, hanging out with my brother's skater bud, just to name a few among a sea of happy times to pick from. Honestly, there aren't many things that conjure up pleasant thoughts of when I was younger, so that's really the one I rely on whenever I'm feeling nostalgic. Smile

My animals, or at least the thought of them. The pets I had were always loved by me and they loved me back (as much as an animal could). My dog would sense when I was depressed and always snuggle up to me even if I didn't want the attention. It would always cheer me up that someone (something) was there for me.

I don't have many happy memories, unfortunately. That's not so say that I haven't had plenty of happy moments in my life. I just have a hard time remembering any of it. Instead, my brain takes the liberty to assault me with all the unhappy memories nearly constantly. The best I can do is distract myself from it all, which works until I give myself time to think.

I find that I'm often drawn to more traditional folk music where the songs are all old ones that have been passed down orally for many generations. The really mellow and melancholy ones remind me of the things my mother used to sing for me when I was a child. I'm not sure why, thematically, anyone would choose the ones she did for their young child, but they all left a great impact on me.

Hot Chocolate.
My exhusband made his own blend and I had it a lot when I was pregnant with my first child. We went through a lot together and he was always there for me... (for 6 of the 7 years anyway). We had some really good times :3

Loads of songs which set me off thinking about summer time as a kid... To many to say so I guess I'm jus to sentimental.

Actually will add that when I see big brother being advertise it reminds me of being on holiday in a hotel in Scotland stuffing my face with Burger King watching the first series. That was a great holiday!!! Smile

I'm not into 'memories', so only rarely some flavour or music sound which I didn't smell/heard for many years.

Old pictures....

It makes me sad and happy at the same time.. I realized i met a lot of people already, but where are they now?

And my remote controlled toy car.. A gift from dad. He is overseas, it just makes me think of the old happy days when Im too excited with his gifts whenever he comes home here in the Philippines