Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Credit Cards ...
Worthwhile additions ? Or the Devil's Work ?

I've never had a credit card myself, as I know what I'm like, and I'd be all "oh do you need a hand ?? No problem, LET'S PUT IT ON MY CREDIT CARD" and then I'd be all Cry when it came time to pay the bill 'coz I'd have to sell stuff ... like my car or kidney ...

... but I'm curious - do you guys use credit cards ? If so, do you pay them off at the end of every month ? Or are you (like me) terrible with your finances ??

Your purchases with credit cards are generally insured aren't they ?

And I remember discussing this with WLM whilst he was here in Jersey, and he pointed out that with some you get like ... cash back and stuff ... which sounds good to me - I guess competition between lenders must be rife ... Confusedmile:.

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

I havent had a credit card (because of the bad stories i ve heard from people) but i might get one so i am interested to see if anyone will recommend one. Any credit card out there that actually saves you money and stops you from over spending or make discounts? (i could be making comedy here without knowing it!) What i dont like is the surprise bills... it is so easy to get carried away and start spending money you dont have and then end up with a lot of debt like some people i know. The bad thing about it is that most usually have nothing to show for their debt ..maybe many pair of shoes but nothing concrete that holds its value.

I have only one credit card and I'm very careful with how I utilise it.I never make any rushed purchases or buy things for others!Very scary how easy it is to purchase things with other people's credit cards...don't ask!I'm a proud Mastercard holder.

I think it *might* be ok if you're looking to make significant purchases that you know you'll be able to write-off at the end of the month as anything you buy is insured, so say ... buying something online that has to be shipped to you might be a good idea 'coz you don't have to pay to have it separately insured ?

Or is that bunkem ??

I guess it might also be good for like ... food shopping ? 'coz you could pop all that on the card and then write it off at the end of the month I guess ?

I dunno :redface:.

xx

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

Shadow..........

Because of the "Credit Crunch" (which initially being blonde I thought was a new Chocolate Bar)

You can get these Pay As You Go Credit Cards

Here's a little info for everyone:

http://www.mycashplus.co.uk/about-ca...s/default.aspx

The cashplus card is a payment card that works like a pay as you go phone - you need to put money on to it before you can use it. It is not a debit card that is linked to a bank account and it is not a credit card where you pay for your transactions at a later date.

You can use your cashplus prepaid card anywhere that accepts MasterCard. That's at over 25 million retail outlets and over 1 million ATMs worldwide. You can use it to shop securely on the Internet, over the phone, by mail order, and to withdraw cash at ATMs, at home in the UK and abroad. Anywhere that displays the MasterCard acceptance mark.
Why prepaid?

With a cashplus prepaid credit card you top-up what you want to spend and manage your money in a hassle-free way. And it's safer than carrying cash.

http://www.fairinvestment.co.uk/pay_...edit_card.aspx

A Pay As You Go credit card allows you to only spend what you have, because you top the card u before you use it and therefore never get into credit card debt. Pay As You Go credit cards have various benefits, such as:

* No bank account necessary
* Safer than carrying cash
* Good for travelling
* Shop online
* Reload the card at a number of outlets

Some PAYG credit cards have fees such as having to buy the card, monthly charges, transaction and withdrawal fees. To see if a Pay As You Go credit card is the right option for you, compare some of the leading credit card providers using our free online comparison service

http://www.look-4u.com/credit-cards/...dit_cards.html

I signed up for an Easyjet Mastercard at the beginning of the year and have just got my August flights home to Albert as a reward for having used the card. After this, though, reward points seem to be coming in a lot more slowly.

I use a credit card for emergencies, for buying online and for the benefits of insurance and the like, which means I don't have to think more about it. When possible I clear it each month, but an emergency car repair may easily put paid to my good intentions.

I have a couple of credit cards but the sums get debited from my account at the end of each month so I guess they aren't real loans. For my Internet transactions, I've asked my bank for an e-card which is a safer way to use your credit card online; It generates a new number each time you need to use it with a new code etc... It's only valid for the sum that you've previously entered anyway, thus preventing theft of data.
For some types of Internet purchases there are also systems such as PayPal...

Shadow Wrote:Worthwhile additions ? Or the Devil's Work ?

I've never had a credit card myself, as I know what I'm like, and I'd be all "oh do you need a hand ?? No problem, LET'S PUT IT ON MY CREDIT CARD" and then I'd be all Cry when it came time to pay the bill 'coz I'd have to sell stuff ... like my car or kidney ...

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

Laugh1 Laugh1 Laugh1 Laugh1 Laugh1

I always try to look at the positive. I had some major credit card debt. Having your own small biz where you really arent going to get a small biz loan or anything like that makes credit cards pretty necessary.

One bad season and the biz nearly collapsed.

Then I got these health issues and got on disability. CC kept calling and calling. I told them that I was on disability. Sent them proof of that and now I am Judgement Proof. No more calls.

I will never be able to get another credit card and am soooo happy about that. I usually use cash now or a debit card for internet purchases - I think those have the extra insurance???

Glad I got disabled and dont have to sell a kidney Laugh1

Thanks boys ...

It certainly seems like there is a lot of choice out there, and so it's definitely something to ponder ...

Just to address a few specific points :-

Star Twister, the PAYG Credit Card idea sounds interesting, but tbh I think it would probably be more hassle than it's worth to me topping it up all the time ...

PA, the randomising of an account number sounds INCREDIBLY alluring, but for the fact that many of the sites I go to keep your payment details for next time, so I'd have to keep saying "No no no DON'T try and use the card I used last time ... use THIS one instead" Wink.

Marshlander, air miles ? Me ?? ((( I know that's not what you were suggesting but it made me smile :biggrin: ))).

Bighug.

Really-speaking I guess the best type of credit card for me would be one where you get some kinda cashback arrangement, so the purchases ultimately cost you less than if you'd bought them to begin with ... if that makes sense ?

Tbh I'm not even sure quite how that works - how can they possibly make any money off you if you're clearing it every month, there are no admin fees, and they're giving you money back :confused:.

xx

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

I know about Discover card (which isnt accepted everywhere). Obviously the more you purchase the more points you get. At years end you can use those points for various gift cards or credit to our account. These things always change.

Over here if you fly alot the airlines actually have their own cc connected to visa or mc.. it is all a bit complicated - more wanting you to be a loyal user.

A great thing over here is a large supermarket has gas stations so when you buy groceries you get gas points. We get gas at almost half price by shopping at just the one store instead of going to two or three stores.

I know that there are sites where you can see all the most current cc offers but I havent used those sites in a long time. Maybe someone can find one for ya.