Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Acronyms
My mum played (for years) an online game called "Acros", which is quite a fun (if simple) game where the online acronym generator supplies a random number of random letters, and a topic, and the players (as many as want to join in) come up with acronyms.

E.g.

EHFP with the topic "Food and Drink", and so you might come up with something like :-

Everybody
Hates
Fish
Paste

Or something like that.

It's just another little word game to play if you've got nowt else to do ... and in order to prevent people bashing their heads against a brick wall I'd suggest once, say, 4-5 people have suggested answers, another Acronym in a random category be proposed by anybody that wants to put one forward.

I'll start :-

Category is Entertainment
Acronym is JHTBTB

Gogogogo !!

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

Lol2.

Whilst I had accepted when writing my post that never ever in my wildest dreams would it rival the LEGACY that is Smurlos' Master Word Association Post ... I must admit that I didn't think I'd be the only person to wind up playing it either ... but nevermind.

Acronym is JHTBTB

Jugglers
Have
Trouble
Balancing
Their
Balls

Well DONE Shadow !! *pats himself on the back* ... I win Balloon.

Next one ...

Category is Sports
Acronym is HRBDIN.

Anybody ? It's not THAT amazing a game granted but ... anybody ?? Pweez ?? :redface:.

Lol2.

It's cool ... you don't have to ...

xx

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

Shadow Wrote:Lol2.

Whilst I had accepted when writing my post that never ever in my wildest dreams would it rival the LEGACY that is Smurlos' Master Word Association Post ... I must admit that I didn't think I'd be the only person to wind up playing it either ... but nevermind.

Acronym is JHTBTB

Jugglers
Have
Trouble
Balancing
Their
Balls

Next one ...

Category is Sports
Acronym is HRBDIN.

Anybody ? It's not THAT amazing a game granted but ... anybody ?? Pweez ?? :redface:.

Lol2.

xx

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

OK, Shadz, but are those letters randomly chosen?
I'd also point out that the word acronym is wrongly chosen unless the sequence of initials happens to be pronounceable as one word...

acronym (noun) a word made from the first letters or syllables of other words, and usually pronounced as a word in its own right, eg NATO, UFO. Compare abbreviation, contraction, initialism.

initialism (noun) 1 Brit a set of initial, usually capital, letters used as an abbreviation, especially of an organization, where each letter is given its own separate pronunciation, eg 'BBC' for British Broadcasting Corporation or 'FBI' for Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Shadow Wrote:Lol2.

Acronym is JHTBTB

Jugglers
Have
Trouble
Balancing
Their
Balls

Next one ...

Category is Sports
Acronym is HRBDIN.

Lol2.

xx

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

His
Ripped
Body
Denotes
Infinite
Narcissism

lol Shadow.. you played Acrophobia? same sorta thing online and with with about 5-10 people playing per game.. can be fun and competitive.

HRBDIN

His Racing Belt Definitely Is New

(couldn't think of anything else.. spent about 10 minutes too!!!)

I won't take the risk of going insane by playing this game so early in the morning but I just want to say a big "AWWW" to Shadow.And in his words "bless you" for being such a good sport!

Hokay, so far we've got two entries for this one ... and no PA - I chose the letters myself 'coz I thought I'd wind up playing it alone and wanted to get a good score :biggrin: Cool xxxxx.

princealbertofb Wrote:His Ripped Body Denotes Infinite Narcissism

wouldlikemuscle Wrote:His Racing Belt Definitely Is New

... and yep - I've never played Acrophobia personally but I did use to stay up and help mum with her rounds sometimes ... "Snailspace" is her handle bless her, 'coz she felt she was learning the ropes of the internet at a snail's pace !! Wink.

... PA, you may well be right - I'm just citing what the game is called online - it's (as WLM has just mentioned) called Acrophobia - here's the Wiki Article on it :-

Dan1089 Wrote:I won't take the risk of going insane by playing this game so early in the morning but I just want to say a big "AWWW" to Shadow.And in his words "bless you" for being such a good sport!

Hee hee :biggrin: - you're so sweet xxxxx

Thanks for playing boys - if we get a couple more suggestions then a winner shall be (somehow) picked - I think I'll get my mum to choose a winner since she's Queen Acro Lol2.

xx

!?!?! Shadow !?!?![url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrophobia_(video_game][/url]

Shadow Wrote:Hokay, so far we've got two entries for this one ... and no PA - I chose the letters myself 'coz I thought I'd wind up playing it alone and wanted to get a good score :biggrin: Cool xxxxx.

... and yep - I've never played Acrophobia personally but I did use to stay up and help mum with her rounds sometimes ... "Snailspace" is her handle bless her, 'coz she felt she was learning the ropes of the internet at a snail's pace !! Wink.

... PA, you may well be right - I'm just citing what the game is called online - it's (as WLM has just mentioned) called Acrophobia - here's the Wiki Article on it :-

Hee hee :biggrin: - you're so sweet xxxxx

Thanks for playing boys - if we get a couple more suggestions then a winner shall be (somehow) picked - I think I'll get my mum to choose a winner since she's Queen Acro Lol2.

xx

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

thanks for the explanation, Shadz, however it is still interesting to note that an acronym is different from an initialism, not that it makes the slightest difference to the way we play the game, right?

Indeed !!

You can be my guest and point out that the people that play the game in a hardcore-stylee are misinformed if you like - I'll back you up (from a distance) Lol2.

xx

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

Oh dear ...
Habitual running backstage delighted insomniac Nureyev ...?