Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A weird request, I guess.
Hi, everyone. My name is Jacob and I'm very interested in the 80's; the music, the people, the events.
Lately, I've been thinking a lot about writing a story about a gay character who lived his teenage years in the late eighties and finally, I've decided to do it. The only problem is that... I never actually lived during that period of time. I am a teenager in these times, when the Internet has the answers to all my questions. The thing I'm asking for, guys, is a little help from you. If you were a teen in the eighties and you're willing to answer me some questions, respond to this thread and I will contact you.
Thanks in advance.

Ah the 80s. I am into 80s music big time. The stuff these days just doesn't compare. I used to think 'I wished I lived in the 80s' myself all the time. Especially when I was going to school in the early 00s which I bloody hated. I would still prefer to live around those times even if they weren't so liberal in terms of gay rights etc.

I remember the early 90s fairly well but can't help with the 80s though. I do remember VHS tapes and cassettes though - they were hilariously unreliable devices at times!

------------------

Welcome to the forum IGW.

I was 17 in 1980, in the UK mind Smile

Ask away.

ObW
X

I was too young, but I can throw one thing out there as I've asked around: all the "hair bands" of metal using more cosmetics than the average televangelist wife (I found one tape of Poison at a thrift store and got it thinking it was a band of drag queens!) doesn't mean they were tolerant of homosexuality. Not even the ones who wore pink lipstick. The gender bending was pure rebellion and they actually saw themselves as macho who were perhaps even less accepting of homosexuality than mainstream society (which allowed for "gay clowns" in movies to be shown with some sympathy). I guess it was some idiotic "we're too tough to live by your standards, though we're actually going to enforce them even stronger beyond shallow appearances, because being tougher than you means being bigger assholes than you."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0138414/

^I know it was made in 1998, but it was set in 1984.. Hopefully
you'll get some inspiration Smile

good luck!