Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would you do?
Let's say your friend introduces you to a one of his friends but this friend was his boyfriend but they are not together anymore and have not been in like 4 years. What would you do if you started liking the guy that was with your friend? Would you date him? Would you ask your friend how he feels about you dating his ex/friend?

Not sure I would ask but would definitely let the friend know I was interested in him.
Just going for it could end up in a confrontation with the friend.

[SIZE="3"]First if he introduced you to him then he probably wont mind. 4 yrs is a long time so if they been apart that long chances are they will stay apart.
Anyway if you think it might cause trouble yes talk to your friend and see how he feels.[/SIZE]

Well, first I would find out why they broke up. Like, did he do something horrible to my friend? What I would do next depends on that answer.

I would definitely talk to the friend and let him know you are interested in his "ex". Make sure there is not going to be any animosity there.

4 years seem a lot of time for it to be an issue. But I would still talk to the friend first to let him know I'm interested. Other than that I can't see a problem.

I would talk to the friend. He most likely has an inside scoop here that may change your mind.

Yes most people get all offensive when you want to date their ex. However we have to understand that while we came to hate that person so much we thought seriously about suffocating about them at night, that only means we cared deeply about them, and will continue to care for them in some level...

Accepting that the S.O.B. might be happy for a moment (with MY Best Friend to boot) can be a hard pill to swallow.

Most people fair better when they are brought into the whole 'pre-date' stage by their friend... They mayn't like it too much, but most tend to handle it with decorum...

4 years an ex gives sufficient distance in most cases that its not going to be a drama filled horror when you pull your friend and 'ask permission' to 'go there'. The fact that you honor your friend enough to 'ask permission' first often is considered the most important aspect... You are up holding the unwritten 'rules' of friends - all is good.

Thank you guys for your opinion! I guess I'll ask him what he thinks then. They decided to break up because there was no connection between them anymore, there was no cheating or anything bad.

^ Yup its good to tell your friend first that you like his ex...nothing wrong there. And besides it has been 4 years... Go for it

Be cautious, especially if your friend is a good judge of character. For sure, 4 years is a little past the no touch date, but why not ask your friend why they broke up, and ask yourself if you're willing to have a rocky relationship for a short while. Few friends will be estatic to see that their ex is suddenly dating a close friend, but at the same time, these opinions shouldn't halt your life. Just know that their relationship failed for a reason, and consider that.