Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Energy Drinks - Be Careful!!
BE CAREFUL!!!!

Just how bad are energy drinks?
by Diana Koelliker, MD

In recent years, a number of energy drinks have entered the market to provide a quick boost of energy. These drinks usually contain high levels of caffeine and other additives, such as taurine, ginseng and carnitine that act as stimulants.

The average eight ounce cup of coffee contains about 100 mg of caffeine. Some energy drinks contain as much as 500 mg of caffeine per serving in addition to the other stimulants found in these beverages.

Because energy drinks are sold as nutritional supplements, they are not regulated as foods. Therefore, the FDA does not regulate or limit the amount or content of ingredients in these drinks; you may not know exactly what you are drinking when you consume these products.

So, does that necessarily mean these drinks are bad for you? In small doses, caffeine is a pretty innocuous substance. However, in high concentrations, it can cause sleep disturbances, anxiety, restlessness, elevation in blood pressure and heart rate, abnormal heart rhythms (arrhythmia), seizures and even death.

As an Emergency physician, we certainly have seen an increase in visits related to energy drinks. In 2005 there were about 1,100 ER visits in the US related to these drinks; in 2008 there were more than 16,000 visits. The numbers continue to rise.

What’s worse, the trend of combining energy drinks with alcohol is popular with college students and young adults. This may be due to a misconception that caffeine counteracts alcohol; it does not.

A high caffeine content stimulant effect can prevent a person from becoming sleepy, but it does not prevent impairment, nor does it quicken reaction time or motor skills. Caffeine and alcohol together can lead to increased participation in risky behavior, like driving. It also can lead to what I call the "superman effect," where the person believes they can skateboard down a flight of stairs. The consequences can be dangerous and even deadly.

Energy drinks are especially dangerous for children and adolescents. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends energy drinks should never be consumed by children or adolescents.

High levels of caffeine have been associated with harmful neurologic and cardiovascular effects in children, and drinks containing stimulants should never be given for hydration or as a supplement to young persons. Parents should warn teenagers and young adults of the dangers of mixing these drinks with alcohol.

In summary, if you have a history of high blood pressure, heart problems, seizures or if you are pregnant, it’s best to steer clear from energy drinks. Any person, regardless of their health status, can be at risk of side effects of these beverages if too much is consumed or if they are consumed in association with alcohol. Finally, there is no place for energy drinks in the diet of a child or adolescent.

http://tellmed.org/patient-informati...-energy-drinks

http://www.brown.edu/Student_Service...rgy_drinks.php

http://www.webmd.com/hypertension-hi...mri-scans-show

http://www.caffeineinformer.com/top-...-drink-dangers

[Image: ENERGY-DRINKS.jpg]

I have to say, never drink them, I didn't like the way they taste when I tried them.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

CellarDweller Wrote:I have to say, never drink them, I didn't like the way they taste when I tried them.

Yeah, I am with you on that.
I tasted one once.......I can only describe it as dirty dishwater, pureed cardboard, moldy vitamins, and sweat socks residue all mixed together.

Meh. Everything we eat or drink is bad for us these days. So what? I'll still drink them because I hate coffee.

Energy drinks are so full of chemicals that it would be the same as drinking some cleaning agent. Good for those who wish to shorten their life greatly.

I was taught growing up that Soda and stuff were treats or a "party" drink for when everyone got together and stuff for like a family barbeque.

Now its like, thirsty? Drink 16oz of Sprite!
[Image: kawaii_onionhead_96.gif]

I still like to Drink my some Water and only really have fruit juices, like Grapefruit juice (duh Wink ) and my occasional Tahitian treat.

Stuff like Gatorade or whatever, doesn't even cross my mind, let alone my lips Msn-slapping

Meth is better, lasts longer, therefore is cheaper than energy drinks.

Never liked it… taste like piss

Though i remember when they first got here, i was 15, most times it was mixed with vodka and after the first one you cant taste it…

I cant quite understand why a grown adult would drink this stuff, its like acid!

I drink them sometimes, I like the taste and sometimes need to be awake.

I follow the instructions though "1/day" or whatever the cans say.

A lot of people who have issues with them drink them in excess... if you have 16 cans of energy drinks you're going to die.

Hey all lol I like the taste of redbull! Although back about 5 months ago when I didn't know it could kill u. I picked up 3 and drank them all within 6 hours. Mind you these weren't the little puny ones. These were the ones right below the 20 oz lol