Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Partial marriage equality coming to Ohio
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/natio...rit=206567

Seeing as I was born and raised in Ohio and moved back here a couple years ago, this is huge for me. I didn't expect this to happen for quite a while longer, and a few years ago I didn't even consider it possible really. I haven't been this happy to read the news in a long, long time Clap

The reason I say it's "partial" is that this will not mean gay couples can get married in Ohio. The ruling to be handed down is that Ohio will have to recognize the marriages of couples that have been legally performed in other states.

I was really hoping for the constitutional ban to be overturned by a ballot measure, but I'll take it.

This is good.

Something a little scary in the article is the question of the supreme court getting the broad "Is gay marriage constitutional" question.

So far it would seem that yes, it would be. But part of the scary thing about living in a democracy is that everything can be undone.

The legal precedent is against this though, so no one should be afraid.

Even though this isn't 'marriage equality' yet, it does bring the state back into a more neutral stance, which will make it easier to push for marriage equality in the future.

Go Ohio Smile

Woollyhats Wrote:This is good.

Something a little scary in the article is the question of the supreme court getting the broad "Is gay marriage constitutional" question.

So far it would seem that yes, it would be. But part of the scary thing about living in a democracy is that everything can be undone.

It's likely the supreme court will get the issue sometime soon with or without the Ohio case, considering just how many of these rulings are now going through the appeals process.

http://www.marriageequality.org/lawsuits

The question at this point isn't so much will the supreme court hear it, but which of the many cases will they hear and when.

I tend to think that they (the supreme court) expected this when they ruled Doma unconstitutional last year, but wanted to see it play out in the states before weighing in on the ultimate question. At some point the balance will tip to where marriage equality has reached the majority of the states. The process is gathering steam. It could still be derailed, but I want to believe there will be justice.

wahoo! go Buckeyes!:biggrin:

Step by step, State by State.

Just like slavery in its days, just like racial discrimination in its days, anti-LGBT stances will disappear.

Time to time and GO OHIO! GO US!

This is good. Confusedmile:

Hooray for progress!

Also, thread title lol b/c maths are funny.

congrats to Ohio
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!