Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you be pro gay marriage and anti polygamous marriage?
I find myself pondering this question as of late. It's one of those arguments that "anti gay marriage" proponents like to bring up to try to stump those in favor of marriage equality. I've been trying to come up with a rational reason to be anti polygamous marriage. If I say I don't agree with it, whether because the relationship is unequal or it often disadvantages women, I find myself sound like an anti gay marriage bigot who says the same thing about gay marriage. I tried the scientific approach to in that homosexuality is scientifically founded so gay marriage is thus a human right. But there are plenty of studies supporting polygamy as natural in human relations that could be construed the same way.

So can you be pro gay marriage and anti polygamous marriage? And if you can, what sound argument can you use against polygamous marriage?

Waxing philosophy on ideologies and refusing to give sanctuary to one of them. Okay. *hmm*

There really isn't a rational reason to be anti-polygamous marriage. It's all about belief systems (religion, politics, and moral codes). I think you're approaching polygamy through the scope of Mormonism and harem situations. Can't a woman also be the core of a multi-male polygamy set-up? Or a multi-gendered set-up?

To answer your question: Yes you can be pro-gay marriage and anti-polygamous marriage. I'm not exactly the same way (I have no arguments against polygamy except in the worst case scenario: spousal rape and abuse, but that even happens in monogamy).

However, I disagree that marriage is a human right. Marriage is an institution. A civil (not political) one at that. Partnerships exist in nature, marriage does not. But I do believe that marriage should be allowed to the citizens by the government in which those citizens reside (social contract stuff) whether or not those citizens believe in marriage or legal unions. It should be a readily available option, however.

Also: thank you! This is one of the few intellectual posts on GS I've come upon (I've been on GS for a day) so this has been a fresh breath of air. Big Grin