Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gay history thread
Is there any thread where people can post about 'gay history'?

It can be anything from generally known things (Stonewall) to maybe personal experiences with gay related events.

Yonger members, would you like to see this, and older members, would you be willing to contribute your own personal experiences?
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

CellarDweller Wrote:Is there any thread where people can post about 'gay history'?

It can be anything from generally known things (Stonewall) to maybe personal experiences with gay related events.

Yonger members, would you like to see this, and older members, would you be willing to contribute your own personal experiences?

I have to say I don't really have any history being 25 - for me I've been fortunate and everything seems to be evolving in favour of gay rights I guess.
[COLOR="Purple"]As I grow to understand less and less,
I learn to love it more and more.
[/COLOR]

Gay history in the UK

In the 1960's and up to maybe the 1970's ( someone correct me if i am wrong ) was a very bad time to be gay ( i say gay but i mean LGBT in general ),many gay men were arrested or even sent to prison for engaging in gay 'activities'.So in effect being gay was considered illegal.
Many gay men would network meet via underground clubs or cruising grounds.In the clubs a hankerchief would be worn either in the left or right pocket butt cheek to indicate if the guy was a top or bottom.

After the law was lifted things started to get better,but fears still remained in regards to children ( i am sure you no what i mean without spelling it out )
Gay pride marches started to appear in cities.

1980"s ,LGBT people started to express themselves more,mainly in popular culture such as pop stars such as Boy George,but in comedy on TV the portrayal of gay men was damm right offensive.

AIDS had a damming effect on gay men,seen as a gay man's disease.I at this time became a teenage,so not a good time to come to release i was gay ( so in the closet i went ).

1990's Things began to improve and up to the present day has seen more tolerance,with people deciding everyone has the right to love and be loved.

present day LGBT people have now got all virtual rites such as child adoption and marriage,more protection in the work place and less discrimination.
We have come a long way but things are still not perfect,acceptance is not all the way there and you will still rarely see two gay men showing affection towards each other in public.

Just a rough history,hope this is what you had in mind CellarDweller.

I for one would be very interested in the history. Being a newer member of "the gay club" I think it could be fascinating. Cellar Dweller, just start it here and other forum members can post their history knowledge. Sounds good to me!

Cerebellar Wrote:It can be anything from generally known things (Stonewall) to maybe personal experiences with gay related events.
Before Stonewall, we have San Francisco's Compton's Cafeteria that punch-started the gay rights movement. New York didn't start it, the truth always comes out screaming in the end.

Respect is due!

Vicki Marlane's Forever's Gonna Start Tonight

Something further to add homosexuality was not removed as being a mental disorder in the UK untill 1993

Before this conversion therapies were still sometimes used.
Some of which would have such things as the 'patient' sitting in a ward made to luck at pictures of near naked men and drink a substance to make them sick,while hearing a audio recording telling them such things like how being gay was unnatural.In effect this was attempted forced brain washing,needless to say it did not work and did more harm than good,those poor men ( people ).

Wolfpack Wrote:Something further to add homosexuality was not removed as being a mental disorder in the UK untill 1993

Before this conversion therapies were still sometimes used.
Some of which would have such things as the 'patient' sitting in a ward made to luck at pictures of near naked men and drink a substance to make them sick,while hearing a audio recording telling them such things like how being gay was unnatural.In effect this was attempted forced brain washing,needless to say it did not work and did more harm than good,those poor men ( people ).

That was known as aversion therapy.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

"Between the 1930s and the 1960s, gay males occasionally appeared in British and American mystery fiction, but they were largely relegated to minor roles as either villains or victims, and their lives were invariably pictured as bleak and unfulfilled. But beginning in 1952, with Death in the Fifth Position by Gore Vidal writing as Edgar Box, the American mystery novel has progressively opened itself to the portrayal of gay males as admirable characters, even to the point of accepting them as detectives. Significantly, this change had its impetus primarily within that most macho of subgenres, the hard-boiled detective novel." Today, we have the Donald Strachey mysteries by Richard Lipez on DVD!

Ancient Christian Church Performed Gay Marriages
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/31...78315.html

We also have gay saints, AMEN!