Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How will we feed 9 billion people?
This is long but worth reading:

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/foodfe...n/#topskip
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

In short, we don't.

Humans are a smart ape which has a singular blind spot that will be its down fall.

Humans do not understand this simple equation:
[Image: Screen%20Shot%202011-08-05%20at%208.30.46%20AM.png]

Exponential numbers escape human imagination. We all think growth is good - its not, no amount of growth, no matter how small is sustainable.

Here is a good read: http://www.kazabyte.com/2011/12/we-dont-...tions.html

And if reading isn't your cup of tea, then I strongly suggest you watch this video:

It is an 8 part video, but the lecturer does a good job of laying out what the problem really is. It is well worth the hour or so of watching all 8 parts.

I hate to break the news to everyone, but we are not just at peak oil... we are at peak everything: https://www.google.com/#q=peak+everything Yep there is a book on that, and lots of sites.

Humans have a small talent for war. And when push comes to shove humans love to pick up sticks or atomic bombs and start beating up other people. We are already at a crises when it comes to food. Go to your store and rack your memory, was that big bag of chips really holding so few chips? A few years ago wasn't that a 5 pound can of coffee which is now a 4 pound can sold at the same price you paid for 5 pounds?

We have entered the food crises and the media the government and the food processors are playing it off, telling us about healthier portions and economic packaging. They are lying. We are running out of food.

From the 1950's until 2003 = 90% of the fish population in the oceans were fished out. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/...cline.html

This is bad news for asian countries who get most of their protein from the sea. and no the BP oil spill, mercury in the Atlantic, the Japanese dumping radioactive water from Fukeshema (whose name means 'we are fukked) and the 5 gyers of the world's filling with trash ain't helping.

While it may sound pessimistic and while everyone else may have high hopes for the future, I assure you there is no future. our society, our way of life and our very civilization is at its twilight. Largely due to the lack of understanding of basic math and how exponential are unsustainable.

We cannot fed 9 billion, we are already having serious problems feeding the 7+ billion that are on earth, and the Western Nations are feeling the pinch - sure we have it disguised under the gloss of 'economic, sensible portions' packaging. That is an illusion to keep the masses from panicking.

There is little doubt in my mind that we are fast approaching a crises which is going to erupt with panic, looting, rioting, Marshal Law and the crack down on 'freedoms'.

Which, BTW we are already seeing a crack down on freedoms and the laying of the foundation in every 'free' nation for the equivalent of Marshal Law. And its not because of terrorism, its because governments are well aware we are fast approaching a crises of not enough of everything.

I suspect that when the world hits the 8 billion mark that the shit will hit the fan and the system will start to break down noticeably. Its already breaking down and the panic over California's recent critical drought (which thankfully the El Nino may end) is only a precursor of what is to come.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:In short, we don't.

Humans are a smart ape which has a singular blind spot that will be its down fall.

Humans do not understand this simple equation:
[Image: Screen%20Shot%202011-08-05%20at%208.30.46%20AM.png]

Exponential numbers escape human imagination. We all think growth is good - its not, no amount of growth, no matter how small is sustainable.

Here is a good read: http://www.kazabyte.com/2011/12/we-dont-...tions.html

And if reading isn't your cup of tea, then I strongly suggest you watch this video:

It is an 8 part video, but the lecturer does a good job of laying out what the problem really is. It is well worth the hour or so of watching all 8 parts.

I hate to break the news to everyone, but we are not just at peak oil... we are at peak everything: https://www.google.com/#q=peak+everything Yep there is a book on that, and lots of sites.

Humans have a small talent for war. And when push comes to shove humans love to pick up sticks or atomic bombs and start beating up other people. We are already at a crises when it comes to food. Go to your store and rack your memory, was that big bag of chips really holding so few chips? A few years ago wasn't that a 5 pound can of coffee which is now a 4 pound can sold at the same price you paid for 5 pounds?

We have entered the food crises and the media the government and the food processors are playing it off, telling us about healthier portions and economic packaging. They are lying. We are running out of food.

From the 1950's until 2003 = 90% of the fish population in the oceans were fished out. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/...cline.html

This is bad news for asian countries who get most of their protein from the sea. and no the BP oil spill, mercury in the Atlantic, the Japanese dumping radioactive water from Fukeshema (whose name means 'we are fukked) and the 5 gyers of the world's filling with trash ain't helping.

While it may sound pessimistic and while everyone else may have high hopes for the future, I assure you there is no future. our society, our way of life and our very civilization is at its twilight. Largely due to the lack of understanding of basic math and how exponential are unsustainable.

We cannot fed 9 billion, we are already having serious problems feeding the 7+ billion that are on earth, and the Western Nations are feeling the pinch - sure we have it disguised under the gloss of 'economic, sensible portions' packaging. That is an illusion to keep the masses from panicking.

There is little doubt in my mind that we are fast approaching a crises which is going to erupt with panic, looting, rioting, Marshal Law and the crack down on 'freedoms'.

Which, BTW we are already seeing a crack down on freedoms and the laying of the foundation in every 'free' nation for the equivalent of Marshal Law. And its not because of terrorism, its because governments are well aware we are fast approaching a crises of not enough of everything.

I suspect that when the world hits the 8 billion mark that the shit will hit the fan and the system will start to break down noticeably. Its already breaking down and the panic over California's recent critical drought (which thankfully the El Nino may end) is only a precursor of what is to come.
Great, now i need a hug and some chocolate:frown:

Mcdonalds will feed the world.

NayNay Wrote:Mcdonalds will feed the world.
I've got diarrhea just from reading this! Lol 😁

jaxc Wrote:Great, now i need a hug and some chocolate:frown:

[Image: 134482d1345989538-who-needs-virtual-hug-...o1_400.png]

[Image: chocolate-bar.png]

If anyone has seen the new TV show "The 100" it's an interesting premise of how to survive as a species now that earth is destroyed and we're trapped in this space station. They've sent 100 juvenile delinquents from the space station back to the planet to find out the current status of the former home and have a very short period before oxygen runs out so they are getting ready to sacrifice 300 lives on the station for the sake of the remaining to survive.
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

Most wealthy men would not invest in something that will lose him money in the long run. Alternative energy is not being looked up upon. Because too many people would lose money.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:In short, we don't.

The elite in Beijing figured this out decades ago, and they (rightly) panicked enough to institute the one-child policy. It worked, because now India has outstripped them in population.

I'm definitely inclined to agree that both India and Mexico - and maybe a handful of other very poor countries - are headed for the exact scenario you described, and probably within our own lifetimes. Western nations can postpone some of these effects for a while by hoarding - maybe even long enough for the herd to be adequately thinned out with war or mass starvation.

After that, we can go back to having high hopes for the future! Big Grin

nullnaught Wrote:Most wealthy men would not invest in something that will lose him money in the long run. Alternative energy is not being looked up upon. Because too many people would lose money.

Alternative energy use is actually growing fairly rapidly. Oil is likely to be obsolete as a source of fuel with several decades (although there will still be demand for a variety of petrochemicals).