Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something we will never get over
Back in the early 70's, Spider and I were a young openly gay couple. True, it wasn't always easy being an openly gay couple back in those days (my own family disowned me), but we were very much in love and it was us against the world. We were living in an apartment building in Long Beach, CA in 1972. Spider was a working musician and I worked in a kitchen at a convalescent hospital. One day the cook at the hospital brought in a little solid white cat (about seven months old) that she had found abandoned near her house and she begged me to adopt the cute little guy and so I took him home to Spider.

Spider and I decided to name our new little cat Ginkmo, and Ginkmo was quite a character, energetic and quite rambunctious, running up and down our hallway, tearing up our potted plants, using the side of upholstered couch like a scratching post and sometimes stealing food off of our plates when we weren't looking! He was also super lovable and would sleep with us in our bed at night, rolling around between us and purring up a storm. We loved Ginkmo. He was our first pet as a couple, more like our first child, our furry little child who was a wild boy.

Then one afternoon we came home to find a box in front of our apartment door and scrawled on the lid of the box was the word "faggot" and when we opened the box, we discovered the body of Ginkmo inside with a noose tied around his neck. Of course, we both lost it big time. I lifted Ginkmo's lifeless body out of the box and held him next to my chest and began to cry uncontrollably. How could anyone do this to a poor defenseless annimal who's only crime was to have two gay daddies?

The following day, we buried Ginkmo out in the rose garden behind our apartment building, and the following month we moved out. Not knowing who had done this horrible thing, we no longer felt safe living there.

That was many, many years ago, but it's the kind of thing we will never get over, something that will always haunt us. To whoever did that to Ginkmo, we forgive you and we hope that you can forgive yourself, but we will never forget your cruel act. After that, we were forever changed.

And this is why, the LGBT community should never forget the pain, and the sacrifices, of those who blazed the path to LGBT freedom and equality today.

Thank you Mike & Spidey, by sharing your memory, and the pain, Ginkmo lives on in your hearts.

Bighug
ObW
X

Wow I don't even know how to reply to that. Its a vile thing to do :/ Sorry you went through that.
[COLOR="Purple"]As I grow to understand less and less,
I learn to love it more and more.
[/COLOR]

What the... What a cruel thing to do.. :mad:

I'm so sorry that you had to go through it. And it's very kind of you to forgive him,I don't know if I could.. :frown:

Wow that was so awful, sorry to hear that *hugs* from me to the both of you.

No we (at least those of us who lived through that Era) will never forget.

Sadly, in that era this sort of situation was a common thing. No one and nothing was sacred enough to not be used to harm LGBT folk.

Your tale brings to mind a lot of things I heard and witnessed. While I came out a decade later things hadn't improved much.

Thankfully in a lot of places these sorts of things are greatly reduced. The horror continues, but not in the wholesale manner as the mid and late 20th century.

Due to those things our people fought back and have won a lot of the battles leading to a more perfect world. Hopefully a generation will be born (soon) who will not have to suffer these things.

OMG...That must have been horrific...it is horrific to read.

Thank you for sharing your painful story...it is a good reminder.

I needed a good reminder.

I am so sorry this happened to you and to GinkmoSad

Dear younger gay friends - Please don't ever forget the hardships that older gay people endured so that you could have a better life today, just as Spider and I are mindful of all those gay people who came before us (before Stonewall). Be proud of who you are and of your relationships and continue to carry the banner and one day hopefully another generation of young gay people will be grateful to you.

Someday we will live in a world where ALL people are appreciated and have dignity no matter who they are or who they love!

All my best to all of you,
Michael

I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I hope that as time went on, you opened your hearts to other four-footed family members.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

I am so sure someone's working on a book to share a collection of documentation such as this. If not, someone jump on this idea!!! What a great post and so powerful and heinous! I would SO love to have a book that chronicles such stories paving the way!! Thanks for sharing. Wavey
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart