Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Buddhists here?
Buddhism is a interesting religion, well to be honest I wouldn't consider it a religion its more a pholosophy but what ever floats your boat!

Personally I like buddhism, main reason is its really the only religion that can actually adapt to the modern world.

I can't believe in a religion which relys upon fear to keep people in line, just seems wrong when its trying to do good!

CardShark Wrote:Buddhism is a interesting religion, well to be honest I wouldn't consider it a religion its more a pholosophy but what ever floats your boat!

Personally I like buddhism, main reason is its really the only religion that can actually adapt to the modern world.

I can't believe in a religion which relys upon fear to keep people in line, just seems wrong when its trying to do good!

Were you brought up in any religion prior to your interest in Buddhism, though, Sharky? What were its shortcomings, to your mind?

I agree with you, i havent studied Buddhism a lot but from what i ve read so far i like its philosophy, does make sense. I am not a Buddhist but if i wanted to adopt a religion i would choose to follow this one.

I went to a catholic school, absolutely hated it their only excuse for god being real is that you can't explain that which you cannot see!
Its impossible to win a debate!

My mum is more of a spiritual person, my dads a athiest and other members of the family just don't have a clue.

I love talking about religions though its like a endless subject, most resent convo was when I was taking a course I ended up talking to a muslim and their religion is brilliant, one thing I never knew is that its actually a follow on from the bible written like 1030 years ago or somin' like that.
In that they believe that it says that god will not contact nor send any prophets again (amazing right?)

Back to buddhism, I've been trying to find myself over the past 2-3 years so I was trying to find a religion which I actually believed in and buddhism kinda fits me more than anything else to be honest, I don't follow the rules as such but I base my life around it shall we say.

I agree also, Buddhism is a very different approach to religion compared to western religions - very philosophical, less dogmatic. Although Buddhism holds the idea of life as suffering - which I disagree with.

I sat a meditation course (Vipassana Meditation) which has strong ties to Buddhist philosophy. I highly recommend it if anyone is considering studying meditation, tho it's not easy. The initial course is a 10 day silent meditation.

Hindu-ism is a great religion - from my small understandings from my travels in India - there are numerous deities (Hindu-ism is often known as the religion of 330 million gods or deities), all representing different aspects of life. The main trinity of Brahma, Vishnu, & Shiva all represent different aspects of the same 'Supreme Being,' & all other deities being linked to them.

There's so many you can pick & choose depending on the weather Wink

Mark GVA Wrote:I sat a meditation course (Vipassana Meditation) which has strong ties to Buddhist philosophy. I highly recommend it if anyone is considering studying meditation, tho it's not easy. The initial course is a 10 day silent meditation. Wink

OMG, I would so die to do a course in Vipassana but nothing ever near me.

When I moved to Japan and told people some of the things I did to relax myself... while walking in the park, counting my breaths or counting my steps while in nature... they were like OMG you were practicing naturally... was cool to hear that. I have also been told I would make an excellent monk, heheh, but that would have to be a sexually active order :tongue:

I guess Japan is a bit like India where they pick and chose the religion that suits the situation best...

A Japanese wedding may include Christian, Buddhist, as well as Shinto... now that is an interesting religion also...

Slightly OT: Anyone ever see a No productions?

Mark GVA Wrote:I agree also, Buddhism is a very different approach to religion compared to western religions - very philosophical, less dogmatic. Although Buddhism holds the idea of life as suffering - which I disagree with.

I sat a meditation course (Vipassana Meditation) which has strong ties to Buddhist philosophy. I highly recommend it if anyone is considering studying meditation, tho it's not easy. The initial course is a 10 day silent meditation.

I've always wanted to do a course in meditation, it looks so peaceful I can meditate to the point where my thoughts are gone but then its just the patience i have trouble with!

CardShark Wrote:... Back to buddhism, I've been trying to find myself over the past 2-3 years so I was trying to find a religion which I actually believed in and buddhism kinda fits me more than anything else to be honest, I don't follow the rules as such but I base my life around it shall we say.
Just curious ... if you've been trying to "find yourself", why have you been looking in other people's cupboards?

Oh yeah , meditation is fantastic. I believe you have to be diligent for it to take effect. Would like to find a meditation group as I ve start meditating more seriously recently- trying to fit it in my daily routine, would help to do it with someone else beginners or experts!

marshlander Wrote:Just curious ... if you've been trying to "find yourself", why have you been looking in other people's cupboards?

Other people already have some real nice cutlery, so why not see what its like to use some of it Confusedmile: .