Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yoga?
Considering a men's beginners yoga class next week, thinking yoga will help with stretching and flexibility and so injury prevention, while also giving me a quiet time to refocus and recenter. Are those practical expectations for regular yoga practice?

Any tips or suggestions for first timers? I tore a biceps tendon a couple years ago while reaching for a tissue - apparently it was already hanging by a thread - so I've been really leery about any exercise in any form since then.

ouch.. I have been thinking about it more and more as the older I get. I have heard of all the pros for it and rarely any negatives. However, I have just met a guy who teaches yoga and after years of doing it he has an issue of fluid building up around his knee that he says is a result of yoga. I think it would take years of a lot of yoga to get to that point.

Definitely keep us informed of how you like it.

What about tai chi instead?

Have heard it is good for seniors, especially for balance.
I bid NO Trump!

I keep looking at the Yoga class at my gym...and I tell myself "maybe later". I have tried a lot of the classes though...I go to Anytime Fitness now where they have the virtual classes on demand and they have pretty much everything.

Be sure to tell the instructor about past injuries and that you're brand new to yoga. Don't do anything that hurts. You want just enough stretch in a position that by the time you're done with the pose, your body has relaxed into the pose and it feels much less like a stretch. If your body is clenching against the stretch, ease up.

Practice three times a week to make progress. If you go once a week, it's unlikely you will make much progress. Don't try look like the super bendy people who may be in your class. You are expressing the poses according to where your body is at that moment of that day. Hatha yoga much more about the inner workings of lengthening muscles, tendons, and ligaments. How it looks on the outside for you will be different than how it looks for others.

Yoga, taught correctly, should never injure your body. It is in fact very good for you. It can increase flexibility, relax muscles, build strength, and give you peace of mind. Strength building yoga can even tone your body; at least it toned mine. I have chronic pain throughout my body and have never been injured from yoga. Don't do anything that hurts. "Housewife yoga" as I call those groups of women on the "yoga trend" often don't practice properly, they get competitive, go just to be seen, and don't get the real benefits they could. If your group is sincere, you will fall in love with yoga!

Tai chi, as mentioned above, is also very effective and I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone. It's my personal favorite.

Have fun! Smile

I love yoga and I think it will do exactly what you are hoping it will. Like a couple others have already said, don't stay in a pose if it hurts. Personally, I prefer hot yoga. The high temps make me feel like my muscles are more relaxed.

I wish I could do it but my body has other ideas lol!

MRossW Wrote:Considering a men's beginners yoga class next week, thinking yoga will help with stretching and flexibility and so injury prevention, while also giving me a quiet time to refocus and recenter. Are those practical expectations for regular yoga practice?

What you outline (stretching and flexibility, injury prevention, focus and centering) are all main focuses within yoga. So is strength, which will also help with injury prevention. I think as long as you start out with a beginner class, you'll probably enjoy it and find it very beneficial. I personally have some pretty severe damage from past injuries and go twice a week to what's called a restorative/therapeutic yoga class. It has helped immensely in my recovery and maintenance. Far -more so- than physical therapy, actually.

MRossW Wrote:Any tips or suggestions for first timers? I tore a biceps tendon a couple years ago while reaching for a tissue - apparently it was already hanging by a thread - so I've been really leery about any exercise in any form since then.

Because you have an injury, you might consider looking into a restorative/therapeutic class to start, then move into the beginner's class after a few months. It will give you a gentler start to your yoga practice.

Also, take it easy. Don't -push- for more, even if you think you should be stronger/more flexible. The strength and flexibility will develop over time. It's not a race.

Thanks all. I didn't make it last week but I went tonight. Had an excellent instructor who told me the same things Camfer, Twist and others did. He made sure I knew the child pose (I think that was the name) before he started and told me to use it any time I wanted. And I used a kneeling position during most of the downward dog (?) positions - but the instructor came up behind me and patted me lightly on the back and said it was perfect. And I wasn't the only one of 21 guys doing it kneeling.

About 45 minutes into the class two things happened: first, my body just sort of "fell into it" - I started to relax, my ability to focus rose noticeably, and I was doing full poses at least briefly without too much strain but being careful not to push it; the second thing was that all that bending and stretching brought on gas. Oh well.

The instructor came up to me afterwards and said I'd done very, very well. I was feeling pretty darn good about it too. Then he said I should consider one of the seniors classes, and I felt a little deflated on that note, but that's just my personal hang-up. Those classes are while I'm at work anyway, so I'll just have to go back next Tuesday night - and try to remember to practice during the week too.