Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chick Fil-A and other anti gay companies
Here we are a year later after the Chick Fil A controversy and I read a thread today that talks about how many gay people in NYC love it and eat there.....I have a hard time believing it is a lot of gay people...maybe just a handful? hopefully?

UGH.....

I would never walk into the place or any place that uses their money to promote discrimination against LGBT people....I am floored that so many people think it is OK to do so.....

I just found out today that Carls Jr was sold...been boycotting them since the 1970s when the owner was the main contributor to the effort to fire gay teachers in an initiative in California.

I STILL don't drink Florida Orange Juice...can't get Anita Bryant out of my head...

Was happy when Coors was taken out of all the gay bars...and I was thrilled when the Donna Summer records were burned (I never liked her anyway)

So...do you/would you support a business when you know they use part of the profits to promote discrimination?

I will not use a company if I know that it is anti-gay. If they change their ways, however, I will not hold a grudge since I feel the purpose of a boycott is to encourage a company to change their policies. If we are never going to use a company again, even after they improve, then what is their incentive to change?

Iceblink Wrote:I will not use a company if I know that it is anti-gay. If they change their ways, however, I will not hold a grudge since I feel the purpose of a boycott is to encourage a company to change their policies. If we are never going to use a company again, even after they improve, then what is their incentive to change?

VERY GOOD POINT! I hadn't even thought of it that way before...Thanks!

I am glad you said that...a light went on in my brain. You are absolutely correct. Respect

Yup. Barilla pasta is an example. Their CEO or some other executive publicly said they would never feature a gay family in their ads. After the uproar and boycotts, they quickly changed their tune. Installed a special committee in the company to help improve relations with the gay community. Could be all just smoke and mirrors, but at least they're making an effort to improve their image.

I didn't know that Barilla had made changes. Good to hear!

East Wrote:And I was thrilled when the Donna Summer records were burned (I never liked her anyway)

So...do you/would you support a business when you know they use part of the profits to promote discrimination?

Donna Summers??? What happened there?? fill me in please

Without a doubt... We have Woolworths. They publically stated they have stopped employing white people... Stopped buying anything from them

Quote:Donna Summers??? What happened there?? fill me in please

She became a born again Christian and said that AIDS was God's punishment for our lifestyle choice...or something similar.

After many years she claims she didn't say it but I don't believe her. Some people do believe her.

We banned her music in the nightclub ...I was soooooooooooooooooo happy.

If I know a company is anti-gay I avoid them/boycott them.

East Wrote:She became a born again Christian and said that AIDS was God's punishment for our lifestyle choice...or something similar.

After many years she claims she didn't say it but I don't believe her. Some people do believe her.

We banned her music in the nightclub ...I was soooooooooooooooooo happy.

I believe you are correct on what Donna Summer said. I think if it were false she would have taken legal action against the person who exposed what se said and sued for libel. A celebrity wouldn't just not do anything to defend themselves against something so slanderous.

If someone wants to buy me something from such a company, I will not say no (I would suggest we go elsewhere/get a diffrent brand but I wouldn't say NO), but I will not give them my money

That said I kept uing Firefox during Mozilla's scandel. It's free anyways.

Also if it's software or music... I just pirate it. I wouldn't support them but that doesn't mean I should be denied their product