Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Debut Novel
Hey guys,

Currently, I am writing my debut novel. And not only that, it is M/M fiction. I'm not out, so I'm interested to see how the reaction will be if I release it.

Currently, I have written a prologue, 6.5 chapters. I have written over 100 pages, and I'm over 22,000 words.

So anyways, for you writers out there, what keeps you motivated? I have written all of this in like two weeks, which is a record for me. But I'm afraid of losing my motivation. What do you do to keep the juices flowing?

Whenever I write something, I find myself despising it a few weeks later. My only source of motivation is the way I attempt to distance myself from the idea that my writing needs to be acknowledged to have any worth - I think about authors like Kafka who never even lived to see their work truly appreciated. But then again, my writing is mainly just a hobby.

What's your story about? Big Grin

It's about a guy who falls in love with a man who doesn't love him back. The inspiration is from Sam Smith, Adele and my own personal experiences. It's helping me cope with some hurtful feelings that I currently have.

I have a book of poetry coming out next March, so most of what I'm doing now is editing (groan...). Nothing impressive, a small first printing by a totally obscure press. But I'm pretty psyched!

When I first started out, I joined an online writer's group, all poets, and posted my work for feedback , advice and discussion. If I didn't post often enough, I had people asking me what was up. The group motivated me and kept me on my toes, and really helped a lot with improving my work I learned a lot, and made some good friends.

I'm sure there are groups that center on fiction, try googling and see what you come up with. It made a huge difference for me.

Good luck with your novel, and keep us updated on your progress.

Wolfpack Wrote:Good luck with your novel, and keep us updated on your progress.

Thanks so much. I've been able to type around 1,200 words a day. Hopefully I'll be able to keep up my progress.

22,000 words is a solid chunk of work there, keep at it! I have several writing projects floating around but I keep stopping and starting as and when the inspiration dries up, it's not easy. Good luck with your writing!
<<<<I'm just consciousness having a human experience>>>>

Oh great! Though you won't believe me, I once wrote a short novel in French. I'm very much into writing, but it won't make me easy money here lol. Good job with yours Smile

There is not a single guaranteed method to constantly get your words on to paper. Do some research on the famous authors - they all had different ways of doing it. There is however one perfect way to lose your motivation, and that is to be scared of losing your motivation.

Just write. The words are there. They want to come out. Let them. Keep your enemy brain out of the process,

Thank you guys for your support! So far, I have written almost every day in the past three weeks. Hopefully, that'll last! Right now, I am at 118 pages and 25,700 words.