Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's your opinion on driverless cars?
According to this article they'll be on British roads by 2015:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news...-2015.html
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

As long as it can't be hacked by anyone with the right device or software then I'm okay with an "autopilot" function. I'd want it to be an option, however.

What I worry about is hackers. At some contest or demo one hacker was able to steal a car by hacking its automated functions and just by using his phone. And it's not thieves and even killers I'd worry about, but just pranksters who had no idea what they're doing, they're just messing around. When a hacker hacks a street sign to warn others about zombies ahead, it's hilarious (IMO, and I've seen it done, btw), but hacking a car on the freeway is a frightening thought to me. More:

Btw, Texas college students hacked a government drone (with them telling the government first):

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-18643134

I'd think that such a drone would have more security features against that then a civilian car, yet even unarmed a car itself becomes a deadly weapon in the wrong hands. Btw, such computers (including those on drones and cars) can be hacked from different continents (for example, a computerized car in London could be hacked as any other computer from say Hong Kong), they don't have to be right by you to do it.

For more detail and friendly demonstration of what I'm thinking of, this vid sums it up:

And it's not just thieves and worse I worry about but even just the bored. When people feel they can get away with it they can vent all sorts of hostility...and apparently do so out of sheer boredom, what else could explain the motivation for this?

On top of that are regular errors and frailties that can affect any computer.

I'm not a Luddite (get tired of people thinking that just because I think backup registers should be ready at stores for emergencies as people can't buy anything when it's all electronic and the power is out), I think in the right circumstances such cars could be useful and even preferable but the more common they are then the more common exploiting it and downright malice will be as well, quite possibly without rhyme or reason (I doubt hackers would have a contest on "Grand Theft Auto, the Real World" but I wouldn't consider it out of the question either). Just because it has more features doesn't mean it's better.

I think it's witchcraft.

If I had a driverless car, it would mean I could post on GS when I'm on my way somewhere!

If it was cool like Knightrider, then I would have one Big Grin

Pix pretty much covered my concerns in this area.

But hell, I'm the guy that puts a piece of electrical tape over his laptop and device "user facing" cameras to make damned sure nobody can see my shit (home, car, location, etc). I'm also (although not objecting to the idea of more sleep via commute time being automated) not comfortable with the idea of having no control.

i hate driving and lots of my mates don't so im the taxi lol - so im all in favour of this , with collision tech that ive seen in practice then hopefully its safe and I can sit back and await my destination

They will need to improve the technology of gps-based mapping. Have you ever mapped something with a gps unit or google maps for something in your area that you already know how to get to? It often sends you on what is physically the shortest, most direct route, but you know from experience is a bad way to go, either because of traffic, lights, and speed limits, or because you know taking the freeway that will add a three or four miles to the route is still quicker and faster.

Iceblink Wrote:If I had a driverless car, it would mean I could post on GS when I'm on my way somewhere!

Spoken like a real size queen post whore... always trying to get MORE MORE MORE

Have already experienced the closest thing: riding across town with my roommate driving.
I bid NO Trump!