Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deluded Opera Divas: is it art or just funny?
Definitely art.

Some find them grotesque, most find them hilarious and others, like me, find them genuine artists: deluded opera divas.

They're unique, daring and controversial, what more can you ask for in an artist?!

The famous Florence Jenkins:

From Portugal, the lovely Natalia de Andrade:

Any others that you know?

Hi MisterLove: It's a bit depressing when absolutely no obne answers your posts but on the other hand, you have chosed a rather rarified subject that few on this forum will know about.

I knew of the two you mention and can't think of anyone who matches them but on the other hand, I can think of some opear singers bwho have made some pretty ghastly noises in their time. You might not agree with me but Elizabeth Schwarzkopf had so many verbal tics that I find it impossible to listen to her. She was so concerned about making a "be oot if full" sound that her interpretations were, in my opinion, crap.

A modern day "singer" who makes an attempt at singing opera with disasterous results, is Catherine Jenkins. She had basically, a good instrument but she has absolutely no idea how to use it correctly nor any idea about interpretation. I once (unfortunately) listened to her trying to sing the "Habañera" from "Carmen" and the result was about as sensual and lifeless as a wet cod.

María Callas was a great interpreter and she had a unique voice but unfortunately, towards the end of her life, she virtually lost her voice and hearing her trying to a hit top note was like listening to a circular saw ripping through metal.

Undoubtedly, some will disagree with mebut then there is room in the world for all types of opinions.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

I know another one called Marcolina Maria, her speciality is singing opera and farting at the same time but I couldn't find any video of hers.

MisterLove Wrote:I know another one called Marcolina Maria, her speciality is singing opera and farting at the same time but I couldn't find any video of hers.

Thank heavens!
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams