Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this really the state of American education?
If it is, it's depressing.

"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

I think you'd need a bigger sample size than two to judge a country of 300+ million. And my guess is that they're very very high, which is why the guy filming wanted to record their answer. Just a guess though.

Just watching that gave me a contact high.

Wade Wrote:I think you'd need a bigger sample size than two to judge a country of 300+ million. And my guess is that they're very very high, which is why the guy filming wanted to record their answer. Just a guess though.

Even if it's a tiny minority that it obviously is, it's still depressing.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Facebook won't load stuff for me... But that's ok, Facebook and Twitter are illegal in the kingdom of Mirkwood....

I can only assume it was some photo about the idiocy that Americans have.

The reality is yes, American Public education has gone downhill since the days of the Civil Rights Movement. By and large due to the link between an educated population whining and complaining about civil rights for the people and a government that was totally surprised that educated people would find that status quo unacceptable. http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/civ...cation.htm (their version is slightly sanitized for our protection.

What is going on now, well as many theorize, is there is a deliberate Dumbing Down of America: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=dum...merica+pdf

Lots of sites and resources to read up more.

I'm uncertain if the theory is wholly accurate. I don't think it is a conspiracy. I think it is yet one more symptom of a dying dinosaur that can't keep up with modern times, sort of like the 80% of our bridges that are nearly at failure point, or that 75% of our electrical grid is just one minor problem leading to catastrophic failure, or that 75% of the fresh water supply lines are 100+ years old....

America is a nation that is loath of a real national health care system. We also tend to reelect the same politicians who will shut down the government over an attempt to make a step toward national health care.

The whole system is royally messed up...

So yeah, if this photo is of people who don't know their geology well enough to find Iran on a map (yeah I know its not geology), or .. how about this link: http://www.alternet.org/story/148826/16_...ehind_them

Those two guys in the video were trying to answer the question of "how many hours does it take for a car going 80 miles an hour to reach 80 miles".

Both those guys must have been smoking dope,,, cause they couldn't figure it out.
We Have Elvis !!

LONDONER Wrote:If it is, it's depressing.

So everyone in the U.K. is university educated and it would be impossible to find people like this?

Hrm I know a few people in the UK I could stump with that question :-P

Emiliano Wrote:Just watching that gave me a contact high.

I had to break out the febreze to kill the dope smoke after I viewed it.

Even the best schools in the world can't force people to apply themselves, pay attention in class, learn anything, or be intelligent.

While there are a lot of legitimate problems with the school system, I think people far too quickly blame it, often for problems that were brought into the classroom as far as attitude or "I don't see why I should care about this."

I can't speak for the rest of the world, but I think it's usually pretty obvious to many American students that some percentage of their classroom couldn't care less and is only here because they're forced to be. What was a fresh of breath air, to me, about going to college was that it all but eliminates the people who truly don't want to be there. Few of those people last more than a semester, even if they only came to appease the demands of their parents.