Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A clarification about my belief that high functioning Autistics are a minority
I consider high functioning Autistic people to be a minority because we face persistent and specific discrimination at every level of society and as an Autistic person I know that's true. There's no other disability that presents the same set of symptoms and Asperger's Syndrome has a high profile in pop culture.

When I mentioned that in a previous post, I think a lot of you guys reacted with a very high level of malice and I haven't forgotten about that. You guys made fun of me, literally. Go back and read that post if you don't believe me and examine those posts from my perspective as the person who was being ridiculed.

I would like you guys to give my perspective a chance. After all, I have Autism so I know what it's like.

I'm sorry you were getting made fun. I can't find the post you were talking about, maybe you can put up a link

Arkansota Wrote:I consider high functioning Autistic people to be a minority because we face persistent and specific discrimination at every level of society and as an Autistic person I know that's true. There's no other disability that presents the same set of symptoms and Asperger's Syndrome has a high profile in pop culture.

When I mentioned that in a previous post, I think a lot of you guys reacted with a very high level of malice and I haven't forgotten about that. You guys made fun of me, literally. Go back and read that post if you don't believe me and examine those posts from my perspective as the person who was being ridiculed.

I would like you guys to give my perspective a chance. After all, I have Autism so I know what it's like.

I'm curious as to what the outward/physical signs of Autism and Asperger's is. Can anyone answer that?

I am sorry that you have faced discrimination here. I've been diagnosed with high functioning autism only recently. The classifications have changed so I don't know what I am considered. But I think the congregation has retired the term Asperger's and have started diagnosing with impersonal numbered set terms. This is the first time I've noticed a thread posted by you, and I'm curious to get to know you.

Arkansota Wrote:When I mentioned that in a previous post, I think a lot of you guys reacted with a very high level of malice and I haven't forgotten about that. You guys made fun of me, literally. Go back and read that post if you don't believe me and examine those posts from my perspective as the person who was being ridiculed.

I do not recall the thread but would be willing to give it a look and give you feedback.
I worked on the DSM5 Field Trials research to consolidate Asperger's and Pervasive Developmental disorders into a single Autism Spectrum Disorder category. I understand, as a recovering person, how it seems difficult to find a balance with my own and other's sensitivities. It is a balancing act and a vital part of getting and staying as well as possible along the ups and downs of life. I hope when you say "a lot of you" and "you guys" you are describing how it felt rather than how is actually was. Either way, I'm sorry but glad you've brought it back up for discussion. Bighug
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart