Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grocery Cart
I just realized earlier this week that I am officially boring now when I shop...and I buy almost the exact same things every week...very little changes week to week . I thought I was a lot more adventurous LOL

My weekly standards...
Bananas
Artichokes
Asparagus
Watermelon
Pineapple
Seedless Grapes
Kale Salad
Pistachios
Coconut Sunflower Seeds
Salmon
Chicken
Chili's Spicy Pepper Jack Mac 'n Cheese
Special K Strawberry Protein Bars
Celery
Peanut Butter
Unsweetened Gold Peak Tea
Peaches
Fruitare Black Cherry Bars
Ahi Tuna
Special K Egg/Sausage Breakfast Muffins
Lean Cuisine BBQ Chicken Pizza
Tortellini or Ravioli
Pesto Sauce
...sometimes I buy Frito corn chips but I try not to because I can eat the whole bag....easy...corn and salt...yum

I dart around like a racetrack ......I know all the stops....

Does everyone do this? Are there things you get every week?..or do you change it up?

Have you ever been in a food rut?

What is always in your basket?

Hi East. I know my local Safeway perfectly. Could probably find most things blindfolded.

My regulars: Fruit (bananas, nectarines, apricots, berries), cheese, milk, bread/bagels, hamburger or chicken.

It does get boring and gets to be a routine. I can eat the same meal every day for a month and not really get bored with it.

50Plus Wrote:Hi East. I know my local Safeway perfectly. Could probably find most things blindfolded.

My regulars: Fruit (bananas, nectarines, apricots, berries), cheese, milk, bread/bagels, hamburger or chicken.

It does get boring and gets to be a routine. I can eat the same meal every day for a month and not really get bored with it.

Hi 50plus...nice to see you!...haven't seen you around much lately

LOL at the blindfold thing...I was thinking that same thing earlier this week. I could almost count the steps I take. The only thing is that I have to usually go to four different stores to get everything I need...but they are all close to each other

(BTW...Bagels...GOOD IDEA!!! Thanks!)

I alternate weeks when it comes to meat. Usually chicken or lean hamburger, and I occasionally pick up either salmon or steak if it's on sale.

I don't have a weekly list, but I keep my kitchen stocked with certain things.

Mayo (not to be confused with Miracle Whip - YUCK)
Honey Mustard
Yellow Mustard
Teriyaki Sauce
Honey Ginger Sauce
Ms Dash
Maggi Seasoning
Korean Chili Paste
Montreal Steak Seasoning
Garlic Salt
Parmesan cheese
Olive Oil
Sesame Oil
Canned Tuna
Sliced Turkey
Cheese Slices or Cheddar
Orange Juice
Milk
Fresh Green Beans
Broccoli
Zucchini
Baby Carrots
Red or Yellow sweet pepper
Baby spinach
Onion
Garlic
Ginger
Banana
Korean Pears
Kiwis
Blueberries
Lemon
Avocado
Mangoes or Cantaloupe
Mulitgrain pasta
Jasmine Rice
wheat bread
All Bran Flakes
Sugar Free Popsicles
Butter and Margarine (both)
Eggs

I also keep a few boxed favorites in stock for those shitty days.

Tuna Helper
Rice a Roni
Kraft Dinner
Ragu Pasta Sauce
Stewed Tomatoes
Black Olives

Most everything else comes and goes at a whim depending on what I feel like cooking or eating... or seasonal availability.

As for food ruts? Ahh yeah. I have to eat 5-6 full meals a day. Plus snacks. I get really f'ing tired of eating sometimes.

Considering 3/4 of my food comes out of my yard I'm perhaps a bit more boring in my 'choices' when it comes to ingredients.

There really are not that many things on earth that humans eat on a regular basis. Sure we can eat the occasional grub or slug or something for survival... But we tend to have a very narrow variety of food stuffs.

Go down any store aisle of food stuff - is it really a diversity of foods you are seeing? No its a diversity of brand labels.

Most of the stuff you got on the list could be considered ingredients. Its how you prepare and serve stuff that gives the real diversity to the diet.

it's pretty much the same but averaged out on a monthly basis. for example, i eat avocados every month, but it's usually only once or twice a month, not every week. same goes for pistachios, liquorice, and some other items.

some things i tend to buy every week or more frequently than some others though:
pistachio ice cream
pork ribs
Parmesan cheese
Roquefort blue cheese
whipped cream
pasta
passion fruit juice
bell peppers
peas
olive mayo
bacon
muesli
yoghurt
lettuce

I shop once monthly with a small stop in between for perishables. I cook about 4-6 meals weekly and bake 2-3 times, everything else is fresh/fast (mostly salads and fruits). George LoVeS hot wings so I get tired of those. I LOVE fish so he gets tired of that. We both love everything else so most all is game.

I made A-1 ground beef steaks with roasted veggies today. Tomato sandwiches tomorrow. Laugh
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

Except for some things like milk, cheeses, fruits, and vegetables, the rest of what we buy varies greatly each week. I'm a sucker for anything that is new. I'm also the person the food industry and grocery stores have in mind when they are standing there with their little toaster oven at a booth at the end of the aisles and are passing out samples because I often end up buying it. There s really no consistency week to week in what ends up in the cupboard.

My husband does our shopping. He's in a big rut, if I don't add some variety to my demands, he buys always the same.
Bananas
Soymilk
Creamer
Seasonal fresh fruit and veggies
Carrots
Peppers
Deli-meats for our lunches
Hard boiled eggs
Chobani Greek yogurts
Fat free Cottage cheese
Eggs
Bacon

Once every 2 weeks he does Costco-runs and buys there
More fruit and veggies
Cereals
Chicken-breasts
Raw Almonds
Trail mix
Coffee
Bernd

Being gay is not for Sissies.

Bowyn, you have it in one. I speed my trip through the grocery maze by looking at the place in terms of categories. Paper goods, no. Dairy? Yes. Need milk and eggs. Cereal, no. Have oatmeal to use up. Wine? No. [Damned doctor.] Beef? No. Pork? Yes. Need chops and a butt. etc....
I bid NO Trump!