Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There is no section for cabinet making but it's a kind of closet, no?
This came to my attention. I thought I should share. It's old, and beautiful...

That is an amazing piece of craftsmanship. All the hidden compartments (closets) that open mechanically - is a real treat. I'd love to own this unusual work of art.
We Have Elvis !!

Just think of what satisfaction the crafter created to go along with a piece fit for a King!
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

I went through a hidden compartment phase when I was making furniture.... Its actually a lot harder to do in many cases - well harder to make one that isn't suspected of being there. Thus a false bottom in a drawer is easier, getting a hidden drawer that is latched/unlatched by decorative molding far harder to get right.

I would have no idea how to to mechanize half the stuff that is mechanized on this one.

There is a lot of brass and other metal work in this piece - and this was built back in the day when the cabinet maker would often have to form his own metal work.

Considering this person designed this without the aid of a computer model, and figured out how to pack this all inside the cabinet along with the gravity and I assume spring loaded mechanisms this is something of an engineering model.

I would love to meet the mind that designed this cabinet. While I have seen furniture with a couple spring loaded or gravity powered bits, this one is much more extensive in its mechanisms than anything I have ever seen before.

And to think its still functioning after all these years.

Anything resembling this today would break a day after the warranty expired.

And to think that it was done without a single power tool endorsed by Bob Vila at Sears.
I bid NO Trump!

very cool! I want one now! LOL

Just like I want one of these clocks.....

[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

It is an astonishing tour de force of engineerig but as a piece of furniture. in my opinion, it's over ornate and ugly, but then I'm a minimalist so that's hardly surprising.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Indeed, Londoner, it may not be to everyone's taste. That was probably all the rage at the time. It is a piece fit for a king... It might also be a little harder to hide gimmickry to open and close secret doors in a minimalist piece of cabinet making... what do you think?

princealbertofb Wrote:Indeed, Londoner, it may not be to everyone's taste. That was probably all the rage at the time. It is a piece fit for a king... It might also be a little harder to hide gimmickry to open and close secret doors in a minimalist piece of cabinet making... what do you think?

You're quite correct but it doesn't make me like it any more. I mentioned that I'm a minimalist and attached is a sample of my own work. Yes, quite difficult to make hidden compartments in that.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Beautiful work, Londoner... Very nice! I just didn't know where one would hide the "buttons".