Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coming out via a letter
What do you think? Should I make any changes?

There is something I should have told you a long time ago, because it’s a big part of who I am and have always been, I don’t know that there is an easy way to say this, so I’ll be blunt and get to the point. I’m Gay!! I have known I was gay for a very long time, as far back as I can remember. Articulating that I’m gay doesn’t in any way change who I am, I was gay before you read this and I will be gay after. I’m still the same boy you raised and loved. Growing up there were two times I almost came out, but didn’t due to fear; fear that I would be hated, homeless, and alone if I did, I don’t know if these feelings were justified or not, but it was what scared me more than anything growing up. Things may have been harder had I come out earlier, I know I would have been happier if I had.

For 20 years I hated myself, and lived in fear; fear that I was unlovable, fear that I would be abandoned, fear that I would be alone. I hated who I was, and who I was attracted to, I would not let myself love or be loved. It took 21 years, but I am happy with who I am, who I have always been, I’m happier than I have been in my entire life, and I will NOT live in fear any longer.

Being gay does not change the things I want out of life. I want to travel and explore the world, an education, to live long, and to be happy. I want to do well and live comfortably in a place I can call my own. I want a family to love and support me, and a husband to stand by my side. I know those things may not be the way you pictured them, but I have been imaging them that way for years.

Telling you this is probably one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do, It terrifies me more than you can possibly imagine. If you can’t accept me as I am, I will forgive you. If I’m no longer part of your family, know that I will not shed a tear, and I will forgive you. If you need some time, I understand, it took me twenty years. I hope it won’t take you as long.

Great letter.

Is it for mom/dad/siblings or a friend?

Do you think you could read it to them, face to face, or you going to leave it and go do something normal?

Do they have any idea?

There are plenty of coming out stories on YouTube if you need some inspiration.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck.
Bighug

Great letter! Good luck!

Please let us know how it turns out.

I will be handwriting this letter and mailing a copy to both my mom and dad, this is not something I could do face to face with them as I think they will react poorly, and I would not be able to handle that.

I have made a few minor changes to sentences, and paragraph structure.

There is something I should have told you a long time ago, because it’s a big part of who I am and have always been, I don’t know that there is an easy way to say this, so I’ll be blunt and to the point. I’m Gay!! I have known I was gay for a very long time, as far back as I can remember. Articulating that I’m gay doesn’t in any way change who I am, I was gay before you read this and I will be gay after. I’m still the same boy you raised and loved.

Growing up there were two times I almost came out, but didn’t due to fear. I was afraid I would be hated, homeless, and alone if told anyone I was gay, I don’t know if those feelings were justified or not, but that thought terrified me more than anything growing up. Life may have been harder had I come out earlier, but I know I would have been happier. For 20 years I hated myself and lived in fear, fear that I was unlovable, fear that I would be abandoned, fear that I would be alone. I hated who I was, and who I was attracted to, I would not let myself love or be loved. It took 21 years, but I am happy with who I am, who I have always been, I’m happier now than I have been in my entire life, and I will NOT live in fear any longer.

Being gay does not change the things I want out of life. I want to travel and explore the world, an education, to live long, and to be happy. I want to do well and live comfortably in a place I can call my own. I want a family to love and support me, and a husband to stand by my side. I know those things may not be the way you pictured them, but I have been imaging them that way all my life.

Telling you this is probably the hardest things I’ve ever had to do, and It terrifies me more than you can possibly imagine. As my parents there will always be a spot in my heart for you, so if you need some time, I understand, it took me twenty years, I just hope it won’t take you as long.

Honey this is touching. I hope you get the reaction you hope for, and all the happiness you're due. You got me feeling all sappy.

sometimes the written word is easier to express than the spoken word

I wrote a letter to my sister, and an email to my parents. I could not say it to them, but they reacted very well. I hope it goes well for you.

Well, if I were your parent and I received that letter, I'd break down in tears and want to give you a huge hug! (Hell, I don't even know you and I got misty eyed.)

I think it is a great letter!

Hope it goes well.....you stated your case well.

It is a beautiful letter and I agree with MikeW above in that I got a little misty there. Perfect just the way it is! Good luck and hope all turns out great for you.
I can EXPLAIN it to you but I can't UNDERSTAND it for you
Spoiler:
!