Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advise on Long Distance Running
Well I have registered for a 10km marathon, which will be held on next February and also Viper Challenge, which is a 20km with obstacles.

Below is Viper Challenge.

I'm fit but I have never done a long distance running in my entire life. I'm not thinking to win. I just would like to see how far I can go.

Currently beside my weekly weight lifting and interval training workout, I also do marathon 101 on gym's treadmill so that I can get used to the idea of a marathon. I also do run outdoor.

But I would greatly appreciate if any runners out there can give me a tip or two on long distance running. Plus I wonder how does a long distance runner keep himself hydrated throughout a long run? I know organizers provide water but only on check points. Do you bring a water bottle with you? Can you bring your own water bottle?

It would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

I've never done a race in Malaysia but in the UK the drinks stations come regularly enough. You need to slowly build up your distance tho. Work out how much time you have left and look for a program online to build yourself up to race day. In the uk I've used runnersworld but I'm guessing you might need something more local as it's so hot and humid there!!!

Good luck!!

Okay, noted on that. The 10km running event and the 20km running event will begin at 7.30am and 8.00am respectively. I think I'll be okay for the 10km run as it's shorter and the run should finish before the sun rises right on top of my head. As for the 20km, I think it will take hours to complete it. So probably heat from the sun will become an issue.

So from what I understood, you start slow at the starting line and then build momentum throughout a marathon race. Or should I burst with momentum at the starting line and then slow down a bit in the middle of the run?

What about meal before marathon? What type of meal do you eat before marathon? I usually just eat a bowl of oats with whey protein for breakfast. Is that too heavy or too light for a marathon? I don't want to feel 'heavy' before I run.

Thanks for replying, ck86. It's very much appreciated. Thanks again!

Usually the pace is pretty steady for most runners throughout the race with maybe a sprint at the end when you see the finish line.

What I meant was that most programmes will have you building up the distance you are running each week until the actual race.

As for food, carb heavy for the night before and something relatively light for the morning. I can't exercise on a full or completely empty stomach....

If I'm still not clear give me a shout.

ck86 Wrote:Usually the pace is pretty steady for most runners throughout the race with maybe a sprint at the end when you see the finish line.

What I meant was that most programmes will have you building up the distance you are running each week until the actual race.

As for food, carb heavy for the night before and something relatively light for the morning. I can't exercise on a full or completely empty stomach....

If I'm still not clear give me a shout.

Okay, noted on that.

Currently I'm following this marathon program called BUPA 5KM Training Program for Beginners. Basically I have to gradually add minutes and distance every week to strengthen my legs etc.

But I will expand to 10km on next month.

Thanks for the tips and all. I will give you a shout if I have more questions.

Thanks again!

a Friend of mine recommended that the best way to train for marathons is to regularly run half the distance of the race, so if your planning on running 10 make sure you can easily run 5k 2 or 3 times a week

Quote:a Friend of mine recommended that the best way to train for marathons is to regularly run half the distance of the race, so if your planning on running 10 make sure you can easily run 5k 2 or 3 times a week

Noted. I'm working on my 5k right now. I'm also pushing myself to be in the best shape that I can be.

Wish me luck. I really want to do this. I want to prove to myself that I can do marathon.

Registered and paid the fee!

[Image: Possible-Run_zps907caab2.jpg]

I wanted to sign up for Feb's marathon but it was full. My mistake as I delayed the registration. So I signed up for the next marathon, which is the above.

So I will have two marathons back to back.

Viper Challenge on 15 March 2015.
Possible Run on 22 March 2015.

I have no plan to win. I just want to see how far I can go and cross the finish line. Wish me luck.

Completed 6km run this morning.

I have been gradually adding distance since last Dec. Hopefully I can reach 10km by end of this month or mid next month.

My injured left leg acted a bit after 5.5km but it went back to normal after few minutes.

Need to buy new running shoes as mine tore a bit here and there.

Gym in another 3 hours. Today is leg workout.

be sure to find the running shoes that work best for you, not necessarily what works for everyone else, yes add a little distance every other run, did the ironman in my youth, didn't win but did finish, good luck Jay
[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRz-Six7p24KDjrx1F_V...A&usqp=CAU]