Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey!
I guess I should introduce myself. I've always known I was gay growing up but tried to ignore it and have had a couple not so serious relationships with girls in the past. Over the last year or so I've started becoming more comfortable with my sexual preference and accepted that I'm gay. I've only told 2 friends and hope to come out to more in coming months.

I'm an avid forum user and just recently decided to join a couple forums where I can be myself and talk to others who understand what its like to have to hide in a "closet".

I live in a small Upstate NY town where most people are small minded and not very accepting of the LGBT community. I love spending time outside wether its hiking, camping, going for walks, exploring abandoned places, or just taking photos of nature. I'm also a beer and wine "snob".

Anyways Hi! Shakin

Hi and welcome

Welcome to GS.
When I came out, I was met with surprising acceptance. By everyone except my best friend. Since then, I've come to understand that people need time to process the news, just like we did when we first found out about ourselves.

Hi Winebandit... Welcome to GS!

The idea that being gay is a "preference" between being homosexual and heterosexual is a lame idea heterosexuals came up with. The only preference involved is for being honest with yourself and others about who you are.

You'll find we're all pretty much an easy going bunch around here.

Nice intro!! Welcome to GS Wavey

Welcome....I also love good wines.

Hope that we can help you open your closet doors, even a bit at a time.

Hello. And welcome!! In small communities it's often difficult to come out. I was closeted for years...not because I was in a small community so I can't really relate to that aspect. For me I was heavily involved in church and the congregation is rather homophobic. I knew that coming out meant that I would be loosing friends and a community. But over time I was starting to feel down and getting frustrated and a gay friend at work actually encouraged me to come out. It has been the best thing that's happened and I'm so much happier these days. Can't say that everything worked out well. Still have issues with my family and don't get on with the old church but I've accepted that if they are homophobic and being biggots it's not worth knowing them anyway

Good luck.

Nice to meet you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome, nice to meet you!
I'm glad you are comfortable with your sexuality. Accepting yourself is the hardest part in your journey; anything else that follows... is way easier.

Thanks everyone!

I feel like I can tell more people without receiving negative responses but its still hard. I haven't told any family members yet but my close family leans more "left" and completely supports gay marriage but at the same time I'm the only one in my immediate family that is gay so who knows how they will react!