Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not being a SJW, but not being totally insensitive
I feel like these types of debates and wars between SJWs and really insensitive people are the most common, every day arguments I see online. I think both can be a big problem.

On one hand, someone who is way too politically correct and feels like relentlessly targeting someone because they said something or made a joke that they deemed not politically correct can be dangerous. For example, say some internet celebrity who is clearly not racist, homophobic, or sexist made a joke that they thought was funny or clever and would make people laugh. But a SJW got offended and spread the word online that this person is a terrible human being and now a whole army of people are trying to get this person's videos taken down and ruin their reputation. It also deals with censorship and hurting one's creativity. It really does suck having to be extremely careful of everything you say and killing any creative thought in your head because of fear that someone will get offended and try to ruin you.

On the other hand, having too many people completely void of sensitivity can be dangerous too. For example, there could be another internet celebrity who says some really effed up things and feels like they have the right to say whatever they want without any backlash, especially if they have a legion of fans ready to defend them. The idea that you can say and do whatever you want with no consequences can be dangerous if it's spread out to other people. We already have plenty of people on the internet who're just the biggest assholes, it'd be much worse if those assholes were broadcasting themselves and making a profit off their assholery. And I don't think it's fair to just say "don't get offended", because not everyone is the same. Not everyone is going to take whatever extremely hateful thing you have to say and not feel a single thing from it because "words are just words".

I feel like it all has to do with context and really using common sense to determine if what's being said or shown to you is truly offensive. Just because someone made a racist joke, does that truly make them racist for example? Or if someone called another person a gay slur with the sole purpose of hurting that person with the belief that being gay is a bad thing and didn't apologize or feel any kind of regret, is it okay to just let that person get off scot-free because it's just a word? I'm always seeing both sides of this argument going waaaay overboard.

I think the key is honesty and if a person is willing to actually consider what they have said or done and then own it there would be alot wider middle ground ...the fringe element on either side would still exist...but the lines would be clearer and it would be less likely that the fringe on either side would be able to twist it too much.

For instance...racism. Most of us are racist to some degree...conscious or unconscious. Our words and actions can be a window to take a look at what we might not be aware of. Ever notice how all of the people who are called on their racism are NEVER racist? LOLOLOL.....

OF COURSE THEY ARE...if they were socialized they have some degree of racism ingrained in them. I think I might wet myself if I ever heard someone just own it. The thing is...in order to get past anything you have to identify it. How can you get past being racist if you don't think you are?

I had a guy at the bar who did astrology analysis of people and he would go on about this guy or that guy but when I dared to ask a question about someone who wasn't white...he wasn't interested. Bottom line...he didn't even see them as individuals....on many levels they didn't exist to him. I challenged him and he was indignant about it...and that is when I decide if I am going to choose the battle or let it go....and I pushed him and decided whether he liked it or not it was going to be a teaching moment for him Rofl

...not because I didn't like him.....it was because I thought he was worth it.

Back in my day, the term was "politically correct". You know - you couldn't tell fag jokes anymore. They didn't like being called "Negros and Negresses". They gave you a look if you called them "babe" and "toots". And I couldn't get through a three-day period without somebody railing against the influx of political correctness, and how it destroyed free speech and the good old days of "calling a spade a spade".

Well, these days, nobody calls them "fag jokes". I can't recall the last time I heard them referred to as "Negros and Negresses". And the only time you hear "babe" and "toots" seems to be in movie scenes set in bars, just before the guy gets his ass kicked. Some would argue that those battles have been won. And others would argue that the naysayers were right - free speech was killed.

Lex

Ugg… I'm so out of it, I din't even know what "SJW" stands for. I looked it up, so, ok, IOW, "arrogant, opinionated fucktards" who know their own shit don't stink.

your title got my attention because it's based on a false premise that SJWs are "sensitive."

The truth is the trend for SJWs is to become as insensitive, intolerant, bigoted and ignorant as they people they supposedly oppose. In fact they often succeed in becoming more insensitive, intolerant, bigoted and ignorant than anyone they say they are against.

The best thing to do with them is humiliate them by exposing them to others for the frauds they really are.

It's been very interesting watching the creation and rise of the term "Social Justice Warrior." I turned around and one day everyone's talking about SJWs like the group's been around forever. It helps me understand how powerful a stereotype can be in undermining someone's argument. Now a days, if anyone mentions the possibility of curbing language in particular circumstances for the consideration of other people feelings (god forbid, I know) then they're called an SJW and the discussion is magically over. Where once there could have been a conversation about such things, now the conversation ends at "Eh, you're one of them fuckin' SJWs. Shut the fuck up you goddam SJW. SJWs... sheesh, they're all like that."

Not to say that there aren't people who fit this new stereotype, there are. But it's not across the board. I think it's a lame and lazy tactic to throw that term around when someone's arguing for something you may disagree with. If you disagree with a position, then explain why.

I just call them "the professionally offended" and ignore them to my heart's content.
Bernd

Being gay is not for Sissies.

I'm gonna quote what someone from another forum said:

Quote:I think the main problem with both sides is that nobody's willing to have an actual discussion. Look at any given social media site where these people can be found, all you'll find is one side shouting loudly at the other that they're wrong or how they need to die or something, or immeasurable amounts of passive-aggressive sarcasm. It's all just a big cockfight. And that's what's holding us back; our own stubbornness and pride.

Wade Wrote:It's been very interesting watching the creation and rise of the term "Social Justice Warrior." ...
Well, I don't know the history of its derivation but it's a epithet designed to fail if ever I saw one.

Who Are The Brain Police… Mother's of Invention, 1966:

The slow-mo film footage, for those who might be a tad bit curious, is from a grade-B horror flick, circa 1958. I saw it, alone in a theatre, at age 10 or so and had nightmares for weeks. For the life of me I can't remember what it was called, or anything about the plot, really, except there were these crazy brain like things crawling around basically sucking spinal fluid out of people or something.