Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So the Pope is not so liberal after all
This seems to have dented the Pope's reputation a little.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnew...sador.html

http://www.thelocal.fr/20150410/pope-rej...to-vatican

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/pope-...-gay100415

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015...ay-ambass/
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Like it always has been, the Catholic church is ruled by bigots.

What else can you expect from an old person who's religious on top of everything.

He still has his flaws. But as popes go, he is still better than those in the past. lol Baby steps to the future.

In fairness, he hasn't yet been rejected...he just hasn't had his credentials accepted since being nominated in January.....

Iceblink Wrote:Like it always has been, the Catholic church is ruled by bigots.

Or, to quote (almost) directly from the Mass:

"...As it was in the beginning, is now, and shall forever be...bigotry without end...Amen..."

Albie Wrote:He still has his flaws. But as popes go, he is still better than those in the past. lol Baby steps to the future.

I agree. It's not like the Catholic church is going to change overnight.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

When Pope Saint John XXIII died, even the Lutheran churches in Germany lowered their flags in mourning, an astonishing reversal of long-time anti-papist sentiments.

How much more will we miss Pope Francis when he has gone. His legacy will assuredly not be reduced merely to "bigot."

The acceptance of the French ambassador may be a hurdle too high for this papacy. It isn't going to make me any less appreciative of the many things this pope has done to advance humanity. To resent his not being 100% our ideal is akin to reflecting back on one's family tree and despising all those homophobic ancestors. To what end?

I do not despise my ancestors, but make no mistake, there were many of them that were anti-gay and there were some of them that were racist, anti-Semitic, and sexist. They may have lived in a different time, but that does not mean they were not bigots. When you oppose equality and deny others opportunity based not on their ability to do their job, but something like their race, gender, nationality, or orientation, you are a bigot. You can list some reasons why these people might feel the way do, like age, the place they grew up, their religious view, but those reasons do not mean they are not bigots. I loved my grandfather, but he was a horrible bigot. For me to say something like he grew up in rural Tennessee in a very different time and so that somehow makes him not a bigot, would just be me being an apologist for his prejudiced views. Most of our early presidents and many of our founding fathers in the U.S. were bigots. They might not have a "legacy" in the public mind of being bigots and that might not be what is taught in public school history class, but that does not mean that they were not bigots. If this pope refuses to accept this man as ambassador to the Vatican for the reason that this man is gay, this pope is a bigot. If he advocates against marriage equality, it might be against the teaching of his religion, but that does not mean he is not a bigot. The pope going beyond just saying he is for the poor (all popes do that), but actually rallying against the unequal wealth distribution in this world and that he actually speaks out on issues like our destruction of the environment instead of just leaving it up to politicians to argue, are certainly very welcome and positive steps, but all those good things about him do not change that he still opposes equality and he is still a bigot.

I never jumped on the whole "Ooooooh super cool modern Pope" bandwagon.

He's the emperor of arguably the bloodiest, most evil institution in the history of mankind. The way everyone sucked his dick when said common sense things like "poor people deserve respect too ya know," or "gay people... who am I to judge?" just shows how low our expectations are for Papal behavior.