Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diaries/Journals
I'm having a cleaning frenzy today, and I was rooting through some old storage boxes throwing out some junk, and I came across several really old diaries from my youth! I'd totally forgotten I had them.

Looking through them, I can't believe some of the stuff I've written that I'd totally forgotten about! I seem to have staggered from one fixation/crush/crisis to the next; talking to myself in code in case someone read them (I have no idea what the code means anymore but I have vague recollections of creating it) :biggrin: but I'm kind of shocked none the less by my thought processes back then. Wowzers, so many folks I'd totally forgotten about too. I'm not sure it was such a great idea to revisit some of these thoughts, but I can certainly see how I've moved on and grown from that angst-ridden teenager! The shy introvert still occasionally surfaces though :redface:

Did anyone else keep diaries or journals to help them through some hard times? Perhaps folk of my generation or older can relate to this more as we had no internet/mass social media growing up, (I was painfully shy back then so I'm not even sure being anonymous on the internet would even have helped lol) but even so, I still think it can be a useful tool even today. I still write weird poetry sometimes just to vent particular feelings or emotions that I wouldn't be able to communicate to others easily.

I don't know. Just some random thoughts from me anyway. Enjoy your day folks whatever you're up too. Confusedmile:
<<<<I'm just consciousness having a human experience>>>>

I'm still keeping one. I couldn't imagine my life without writing a diary. I'm an introvert person and I won't ever talk with other people about my feelings. Diary is a perfect way to let everything out.

My mother successfully broke me of the habit of writing my true thoughts down. She used my one and only journal as a weapon against me for years.

I tried journalling when in AA - it helped a little. But then I wrote stuff down then immediately burnt the paper so I can't go back and reread what I was thinking during that eon.

I have done it episodically.

It all backfired in high school when we had to keep a journal for English class and my mother read mine.

Bookworm Wrote:Did anyone else keep diaries or journals to help them through some hard times?

I've never kept one, if I have it's long lost. LOL

Bookworm Wrote:The shy introvert still occasionally surfaces though :redface:

shy guys are cute! Wink
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

I use an online journaling site that doesn't have my name or location on it, and is not connected to any of my other social media accounts. The site allows you to give other users permission to read and comment on what you write (and vice versa), and there is a strict "vegas rule" about what is there. I have made friends on that site which carried into real life (in fact the funeral I went to today was for the father of one of them) but the biggest plus for me is being able to go back and read it, to see where I've evolved (and haven't) over the past 14+ years.

I created one in notepad and I use it every now and then, it helps a little.
[Image: tumblr_n60lwfr0nK1tvauwuo2_250.gif]

Yeah I got one on my phone. I don't like sharing my problem with others but bottling up emotions for long can do some serious shit to you, mentally. Hence, keeping a journal is a good way for me to let everything out.

I have a few of them, yeah.

One for my sister and I to share our ideas for holiday celebrations.
One that I used to work through shit after the car accident when I was going through recovery.
One I use for business idea notes.
One for literary role play game storyline ideas and short story daydreaming.
One for planting plans for my balcony and care plans for what grows there.
One I used to use for venting when going through depressive episodes.
One I used to log my issues with my ex prior to doing something about those issues.

It's been proven that writing, unlike typing, facilitates a different part of the brain. One you can't reach by keyboard or text, but ONLY by holding a pen and writing things out. I personally think it's important to exercise that or risk that creative part of your brain atrophying.

I also have a fascination with books, especially empty books waiting to be filled.

I used to have one, until I read older posts and realized just how bat-shit crazy my true self is, lol. Then I decided not to remind myself of that anymore.