Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody work with the developmentally disabled?
I have an interview tomorrow for an organization that works with the developmentally disabled. So I'm curious if there's anyone on the forum who has worked or volunteered for something similar? Would love to hear about it. Smile

I was a volunteer at Agnew State Hospital before Reagan closed down our State Mental Facilities and put them on the streets to die....

The ward I volunteered in was mostly people who had been institutionalized since they were very young and had both physical and mental disabilities....

I was scared to death for the first month or so...until I started seeing them as individuals...

I think you have to try to see if you have what it takes. It can be hard if you let your feelings take over because it is heartbreaking a lot of times to watch them deal with some of the challenges they have ...especially when you get close to them. Finding a way to detach is helpful.

I was only a volunteer though so it wasn't a job for me...though I did it for quite some time once a week. The actual job requires a lot more than I ever did.

My sister recently started working for a group called Sunshine that helps people with mental and sometimes physical disabilities, and I think she actually really enjoys the work she does there.

I worked part time with physically disabled people when I was around your age. I twas an interesting learning experience. I learned a lot about them and myself. I suspect working with developmental disabilities is more challenging because of communication limitations, for one thing. I suspect [MENTION=18508]East[/MENTION] is right about it not being for everyone and needing to find a way to "be there" and yet be detached.

I worked for three years at a day program for adults with developmental disabilities. It's was a great job. It required a tremendous amount of patience though. Be sure the completely remove the word "retarded" from your lexicon. I know that sounds obvious, but one slip and you're fired. Ex.: chatting with a co-worker "You see [insert movie/TV show] yet?" "Yeah, I thought [insert whatever] was pretty retarded though." FIRED!!!!!!

It happened. Not to me though.

I work as a LifeGuard and Water Safety Instructor at one of the local recreation centers. Been doing the later for about a year now. I teach Redcross certified swim lessons and usually have at least one "developmentally disabled" child in each class. And this is a class where there are 9 of them and 1 of me........hahaha. One thing I have learned is treat them with respect. This should be a given but it isn't always. They get frustrated if they can't figure something out, just like everyone else.

You have to be willing to repeat yourself within a relatively small timeframe and muster up a great deal of patience. But, it is truly a rewarding experience Smile

I did this kind of work.

The worst behaviour comes from those who should know better. colleagues, subordinates, equals and superiors.

yousir Wrote:The worst behaviour comes from those who should know better. colleagues, subordinates, equals and superior.

I agree with this 1000%. My experience working with adults with developmental disabilities was all positive, sometimes exhausting on an emotional level, but wholly satisfying. However, my direct superior was a damaged person who belittled and condescended and shamed the consumers for her own sense of power. I went to her superior three separate times during my time with her and explained what I saw and how inappropriate I felt she behaved. I tried to convince my co-workers to do the same thing because I knew they agreed with my feelings on the matter, but they always chickened out. Nothing was ever done because at the end of the day our program produced positive results (from the higher ups perspective). They didn't see the day to day.

It drove me crazy. I felt completely powerless and became very sad to watch the emotional abuse occur. I became highly anxious, the skin on my palms began peeling away, I developed severe hypochondria. I convinced myself to stick around because I felt I could do some good by providing a caring presence to the place, but eventually it became too much for me and I decided to leave. The truth is I wasn't doing any good there, but I still feel a twinge of guilt when I think about the whole thing.

I think those types of professions are similar to the profession of policing. It draws the best and the worst types of people; people who want to help and people who want to control. I was neither, honestly. I stumbled into the job but ended up really loving the work itself.

It's a wonderful occupation Unfrind (in spite of my kind of cynical complaining), when you have the right kind of people to support you. I wish you a lot of luck!