Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mac, Windows or Linux
Whats your choice?

... in terms of what? Most often used? cost? least number of crashes? quality of user experience? support for the software tool(s) of choice? most temperamentally appropriate match? artistic interpretation? invisibility?

I regularly use two out of three of them and I would guess your radio buttons only allow me one choice were I to vote.

marshlander Wrote:... in terms of what? Most often used? cost? least number of crashes? quality of user experience? support for the software tool(s) of choice? most temperamentally appropriate match? artistic interpretation? invisibility?

I regularly use two out of three of them and I would guess your radio buttons only allow me one choice were I to vote.

Roflmao Your being picky now, okay what is your favorite.

Windows.

I am sure that both Mac and Linux are technically better, however I am too long in the tooth to change now.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

I use Windows Vista (!!) for my studio kit, I was on XP but since I'm a tech I figured I'd better have a proper look at Vista and installed Ultimate x64 for a giggle. After a bit of tweaking I've been surprised to find it works better than XP for me, and more stably. YMMV though.

For fun though, Linux (Ubuntu/Fedora). Everything's far, far faster and smoother, and Compiz makes the visual experience richer, as well as adding a set of functional addons that I have trouble living without in Windows.

No point allying oneself with a particular OS, unless it's Apple's OSX on account of it being tied to the hardware. It's a multi OS world out there and for the average geek discounting one is much like discounting a particular set of tools. They all have their uses.

CardShark Wrote:Roflmao Your being picky now, okay what is your favorite.
Of course I'm being picky! My favourite ... it probably would not be Windows, but the Apple's OSX has unwanted charms too. I mean, who but a sadist would design an OS that informs you oh so helpfully, "The application you were using" (and by implication have failed to remember to save your work for the past four hours) "has unexpectedly quit." Better than that, although I have not seen these since about OS6, were the error messages that began by whining, "It's not my fault ..."!!!!

I am using windows vista and it will probably be the last time I use windows operating system.

I installed ubuntu but it scared me I think I should have gone through it with a friend Confusedmile:

Next time I upgrade I will probably go for a mac alot of my friends use it and I have heard nothing but good things

Not a Mac hater by any means but they're hellishly expensive, which is fine if you've got the bucks. Mind you, the last new release of OSx had a few issues, not to Vista levels but still not great for a lot of folks. I'd recommend road-testing one before committing. I'm hearing surprisingly positive things from Windows 7 beta-testers, far less bloat (so far) than Vista, less buggy than Vista was at release already and compatible with much older machines as it appears to require a fair deal less memory to run. The fact that Microsoft handed out the alpha release for review to people who slated Vista shows they have a lot more confidence in this product.

Ubuntu's awesome, but their insistence that it's Linux's Ready For Prime-Time distribution is just plain not true. Once it's set up and you're used to it, it's a doddle to use and faaaar faster than anything non-Linux (apart from more esoteric OSs like BSD) but ask a regular user to edit Fstab and Menu.lst by hand and, ehhh, not so much.

Uh oh. I'm geeking right out, I should nip back to SlashDot and get it out of my system!

Star Twister Wrote:I am using windows vista and it will probably be the last time I use windows operating system.

I am totally shocked at how much I have fallen in love with MAC.

Before I had only used windows and didnt really have any problems with it except for the constant freezes, slowness, and a few blue screens...

Have a cheap Dell with XP and really dont mind it at all but when I moved over to a PowerBook and then got upgraded to a MacBook Pro with Leopard - just wow... the touch pad is sooooo great with multi touch... it is all just a very nice user experience.

I hope to add a new computer soonish and planning on a workhorse then turn the old Dell into a Linux based to play with and see how those things work.

Arthur.FWT Wrote:Not a Mac hater by any means but they're hellishly expensive, which is fine if you've got the bucks.

[COLOR="Purple"]I thought this at first also but with all the apps you get, how the fan boys create all this amazing stuff for mostly free download, ya got a question about something and ya get a hundred folk willing to spend hours to help out on forums... and the best customer service/care in the world (from nearly every survey that includes Apple)

I am on very low income with disability and find I am spending less on a MAC than I might on a PC... I have totally flipped in my opinion. Would recommend buying an official Apple refurb with the same warranty as brand new and get the extended warranty found dirt cheap on the net...[/COLOR]

Arthur.FWT Wrote:Mind you, the last new release of OSx had a few issues, not to Vista levels but still not great for a lot of folks. I'd recommend road-testing one before committing.

[COLOR="purple"]Not sure what youre referring to but there are bound to be issues with any new OS release especially when you consider that people are upgrading very very old systems as new MAC OS will generally run on older outdated machines without the huge RAMs needed etc for Windows new OS releases. Also love that new MAC OS releases have one level and usually under $100 and it is all 64bit (from what I read on a PC mag who complained that windows machines needed to catch up...) - but I kinda dont know what I am talking about here just kinda recalling stuff from what I read...

Would def agree about road testing anything. Never thought I would get use to a track pad but the one on this MacBook Pro is so fine... and keyboard is so excellent... and their wireless kb is out of this world... then used sisters Panasonic lappy and what a piece of shit trackpad, kb. Multi Touch pad all the way!!![/COLOR]

Arthur.FWT Wrote:I'm hearing surprisingly positive things from Windows 7 beta-testers, far less bloat (so far) than Vista, less buggy than Vista was at release already and compatible with much older machines as it appears to require a fair deal less memory to run. The fact that Microsoft handed out the alpha release for review to people who slated Vista shows they have a lot more confidence in this product.

Read a great letter from a PC mag. The guy was pointing out that the writers gushing over W7 were the same gushing over Vista at the beginning... then MS started pulling back promises, things started getting blacker and blacker and those same writers were UGH UGH UGH over Vista... but then after a bit were gushing over Vista again... it is their job I guess.