Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What will happen to the Eurozone?
The Greek crisis is at its peak and if it goes bankrupt, it could cause a contagion in the entire continent with ripercussions for the US too.

What's gonna happen now? I'm extremely worried about the Eurozone.

Two tier split I reckon, north south divide.

Greece's finances were massaged to get them into the eurozone, they tried to be a modern western economy but were not willing to tackle the mass tax avoidance. Then they created a brain drain by offering free training to become nurses, doctors, dentists etc but didn't tie those who took the training to the country for a number of years. End result: thousands of their best and brightest take the training, get qualified then left the country.

I'm not surprised your worried coming from Italy, so much of your economic prosperity is siphoned off to shall we say less than reputable persons more interested in personal wealth than building a strong economy.

I should add I'm fairly concerned about the Greek situation for what are ultimately selfish reasons. My sister is getting married in August on Zakynthos Island, I hope that her special day is not ruined by all this.

Greece should never have been allowed in to the EE and the Eurozone. As WhatInAName said, it was more due to creative accounting than anything else. Tax evasion was and still is a national pastime and at times the Tax Inspectors are more crooked than the tax "payers".

If Greece exits the EU and the Eurzone it could possibly create a prescedent with others opting to leave also but I believe that the majority of the countries that belong would like it to stay intact but with reforms that if one is honest, is badly needed. The free movement of people is a gooo idea but with conditions; either that people are qualified and capable of engaging in renumerative work that will contribute to society or that they already have sufficient assets so as not to pose a financial burden on their country of chosen residence.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

LONDONER Wrote:The free movement of people is a gooo idea but with conditions; either that people are qualified and capable of engaging in renumerative work that will contribute to society or that they already have sufficient assets so as not to pose a financial burden on their country of chosen residence.

it wouldn't be a free movement of people if there are conditions. it won't work so well if you start imposing conditions on it. this particular problem is a Greek problem, not EU problem, in its nature. everywhere else it's working just fine.
''Do I look civilized to you?''

meridannight Wrote:it wouldn't be a free movement of people if there are conditions. it won't work so well if you start imposing conditions on it. this particular problem is a Greek problem, not EU problem, in its nature. everywhere else it's working just fine.

I can't agree with you 100% meridannight. In the UK you might already know that we have a terrible problem with Rumanians who, simply because there is free movement, have come to the UK to beg and in quite a few cases, to steal. That is not intended to sound racist but it happens to be the truth. The police have had a tremendous problem in London especially with groups of Rumanians camping in some of the wealthier districs of the city and even under Marble Arch. On occasions they have been offered flights back to their country that they have accepted only to return weeks later. The women are absolutely notorious for going out in the mornings pushing prams with small chidren and begging in a most aggressive manner. There was a BBC documentary that followed them at the end of the day to find them living with large BMWs parked in front of the doors. Following them back to their own country it was found that many of their men were living in what could only be desribed as large mansions while the women in the UK were collecting benefits from the welfare system for their many children that didn't necessarily live with them in the UK.

This is why reforms are needed.

[MENTION=18457]LONDONER[/MENTION], i didn't know about that particular problem, but i am aware that this free movement has its downside. but i think the upside outweighs the downside. that's why i am in favor of it.

people will end up going to where it's better one way or another, free movement or no free movement. Italy has no free movement with the countries on the African continent but scores of illegal immigrants from Africa arrive here every week through means that sound crazy to us. and they're much worse off than anybody arriving from the European countries. then the border patrol and the coast guard have to deal with them; feed them for however long they are here, and send them back. it all costs. and you're not ever gonna stop it unless you can erect some impenetrable barrier on the borders of your country.

so, restricting free movement within the EU isn't gonna solve anything.

Quote:so, restricting free movement within the EU isn't gonna solve anything.

If The UK were nearer to Africa and Asia I am sure we would be suffering the same problem as Italy is suffering at the moment and I'm sorry you're suffering this problem. However, the UK seemss to be an eventual magnet for many asylum seekers and general freeloaders as the UK for a long time now has been a soft touch. Only a tighening up of the rules will stop this.

LONDONER Wrote:However, the UK seemss to be an eventual magnet for many asylum seekers and general freeloaders as the UK for a long time now has been a soft touch.

Quote:Following them back to their own country it was found that many of their men were living in what could only be desribed as large mansions while the women in the UK were collecting benefits from the welfare system for their many children that didn't necessarily live with them in the UK.

This is why reforms are needed.

well, in this regard i do agree with you. but the solution is to stop giving them money, or social security or whatever it is they get. i know some Nordic countries do it too, they pay quite substantial amounts of money to people arriving in, and those people in reality aren't working. they just go in there, collect the money from the government, and do nothing.

it's not a fault in the freedom of movement. it's a fault in granting financial help by the government to private individuals arriving from outside the country. no such thing should exist, in essence. anybody who comes in has to get a job and do actual work. that's how everybody does it.

Quote:it's not a fault in the freedom of movement. it's a fault in granting financial help by the government to private individuals arriving from outside the country. no such thing should exist, in essence. anybody who comes in has to get a job and do actual work. that's how everybody does it.

There would be little difference in selective free movement and stopping financial aid. If there were no financial aid then the freeloaders would stop coming and that brings us back to what I said before, that only those with qualifications who could find work and make a financial contribution to society or those with sufficient financial means so that they would not be a burden on society, should be allowed access.