Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catholic Church sued for fraud has to pay $5 million
In Norway... they were padding membership tallies to get more government funding....

I wish someone would help me start suing US televangelists who are
  • healing stupid people by phone, (for love offerings only)
  • promising stupid people if they give seed money to "god" he will pay them back a thousand fold. (prosperity gospel)
  • telling stupid people that gays are going to force their kids to have sex with them

hmmmmm I see now. The common denominator is stupid people.

Churches are among some of the most corrupt organisations on the planet and always have been.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

What I think of most churches is the same I think of most corporations...

It has always been funny to me how many of them are so like the famous fallen angel they fear so much..the one who wanted to play God....and how much they are all like him...exactly like him...

...maybe even worse than him...

You know what is sad, how I am not shocked about this.

What else is sad? They still have millions of catholics brain washed around the world and this event will have true believers just thinking this is a 'one off' event.

If you put together all their scandals together you could compare it to the practices of a corrupt corporation....

East Wrote:What I think of most churches is the same I think of most corporations...

It has always been funny to me how many of them are so like the famous fallen angel they fear so much..the one who wanted to play God....and how much they are all like him...exactly like him...

...maybe even worse than him...

Wow! you made me remember something from 11th grade Latin by Cicero... I had to break out the book to look it up because it fits with what you said... He wrote it about Caesar but it applies to so many other people and situations...

Bascially it is about how things taken to their extremes become their opposites. In this case a decent religion taken to extremes becomes the opposite of what it set out to be.

And it's so damned true about much of Christianity. They have become the total opposite of real christians.

Virge Wrote:Wow! you made me remember something from 11th grade Latin by Cicero... I had to break out the book to look it up because it fits with what you said... He wrote it about Caesar but it applies to so many other people and situations...

Bascially it is about how things taken to their extremes become their opposites. In this case a decent religion taken to extremes becomes the opposite of what it set out to be.

And it's so damned true about much of Christianity. They have become the total opposite of real christians.

I also think of yin/yang when I think of that concept. The sinners become the saints..and vice versa...

The cops and robbers have a thin line between them....

It is why it is important to get in touch with and OWN your dark side....we all have one...

...and the reason....so it doesn't own you....

If we were able to collectively do that...we could change the world overnight....

The reason we are now owned by corporations and a few of the very rich..we are easily manipulated. The worst offender....our collective addiction to images which are perceptions of reality that pose as actual reality...

Quote:@East said
The cops and robbers have a thin line between them....

It is why it is important to get in touch with and OWN your dark side....we all have one...

Gee thanks for that. I had an instant flashback to being in my bed with two loaded guns the night I finished an old gay crime novel called CRUISING... I should have seen the movie first.

Quote:The reason we are now owned by corporations and a few of the very rich..we are easily manipulated. The worst offender....our collective addiction to images which are perceptions of reality that pose as actual reality...

That's not news to me anymore. That quote I was talking about from Cicero leads into a rant about that, too. It didn't meant much to in 11th grade when I read it. NOW? Wow! People 2,000 years ago were a lot smarter than people today. And that's not just an opinion. It's science. We watched a PBS Nova video about it a couple weeks ago.

More than any other institution I can think of (except for Faux News)....The Catholic Church is beholden to and idolizes false images...and uses them quite freely to manipulate and control their followers....

Oh yeah...something was nagging at me...and now I remember what it is....

Tying this back in with the Catholic Church..and considering what I said about our collective addiction to images...

Just imagine if it has been Black Men...or Muslims...or Gays...or Michael Jackson....

They would have grabbed torches and started a riot...

...but when their own fucking preacher boys did it..S I L E N C E ...you could hear crickets from the Catholics.....

Because their image of their preacher boys were one of holiness and godliness...and so they would allow their own children to be their victims so they could hold on to an image that was false...

BARF....

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]There is a book (free, if you don't mind the ebook version) called "The Authoritarians" by Professor Bob Altemeyer. You can Google the title and author and it should be the first response returned by the search engine. Basically, these people aren't stupid but are locked in a tragic neurological illness where they defer to and feel intense, irrational terror of authority figures. People raised to be fearful and unquestioning towards authorities are candidates for this problem and it has no bearing on intellect. The smartest Right Wing Authoritarian Followers can rationalize and out-think the evidence against them, even turning to vast conspiracy to escape the danger that losing their authority would bring.

I can personally attest to the information Altemeyer lays out because I was and am one of them (a Right Wing Authoritarian Follower) from a long line of them. I would still be conservative, highly Christian, and a proud follower of that ideology had I not realized I was gay. Even now, as I move to become more liberal and less traditional, I still fall into traps of RWAF thinking, only in reverse. My first reaction to homophobia is to view homophobes as vicious, murderous orcs bent on my destruction who secretly relish the deaths of gay kids (but considering much of my family fits this trope, I know better, at least logically. I still react to things emotionally rather than analytically. Some things didn't change to that end wither. I still tend to find myself automatically siding with the police, politicians, or other authority figures whenever there is some story in the media pitting them against individuals.[/COLOR]

I fight these tendencies by studying all I can from all sides of an issue. I read the experiences of women, black folks, latinos, and so on. I learn about things like privilege. I actively engage and try to fight my own programming. Despite this, though, the tendency remains and it is a constant struggle.