Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to find new books
Just curious how people like to come across new books. I like to go to bookstores but just looking at covers all day doesn't seem to be the best option...I signed up for goodreads a few years back but that hasn't been very helpful when it comes to branching out and finding things that aren't exactly like what I have already had. Does anyone know of any sites to help you find books based off of things like your interests, what you like, etc.?

Ever bought a book through Amazon? Ever did some book-searches there? Once you have a profile there, they will suggest other books you might find interesting. Or you can enter tags into their search engine.
Bernd

Being gay is not for Sissies.

I pace the aisles at bookstores, thrift shops, and museum gift shops, and I get recommendations from my friends who know my interests.

What kind of books do you like?

I second Amazon. The reviews are really helpful, other books are always suggested when do you any kind of search, and you can browse other people's book lists.

amazon gives you recommendations, and it also has the useful ''customers who bought this also bought''. sometimes publishers have a sale (e.g. Oxford University Press has up to 70% off twice annually on certain books), so i tend to look through the titles that they offer with a reduced price; i've found a number of interesting books like that. authors also often put together a bibliography and references to books they used for writing a book you're reading, combing through those can end in discoveries. ..just a few ideas.
''Do I look civilized to you?''

If all else fails, try the library.

As much as I hate the fact that Amazon has pretty much killed off most bookstores, go to Amazon. Select the Books tab at the top of the main page, scroll down and then look to the left hand side for links to popular books, age specific books, genre, format type, etc.

Often the first several pages of a book are available to preview. I've found that this is a great tool to discover whether the topic material is something I'm interested in and also its a great way to find out if you can stomach an author's writing style (or sometimes the lack thereof). Yes, there's a lgbt section as well.

Additionally Amazon has a Kindle Unlimited option that gives you access (like a library) to a helluva lot of books for about $10 dollars a month. It doesn't cover every book Amazon offers, but it covers a lot of them. If you're a voracious reader its worth it.

The city library here has a good sized display of new books right at the front of the main reading room. I always look them over when I go in. They also have a constant book sale that has loads of titles for a dollar or less. Those aren't new but there can be some real finds. I have also been known to just wander the stacks.

There are good reviews in a number of magazines and the New York Times Book Review is a famous resource. You can get all of those at the library, too. The library can also get books using interlibrary loan services if they do not own them.

I have no problem buying books when I can afford them but the library is free and it keeps me from filling up the house with books. I would readily do that if I could afford it.
I bid NO Trump!

I used librarything.com but it is kind of like goodreads. Librarything is how I found the song of ice and fire series though. So it can be helpful.