Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Participants Needed
Cant offer money but i may buy you a coffee or pint Wink

My names Fiona and Im an anthropology student in her fina year i really need help with my dissertation topic which for many is a sensitive issue.

I am looking at the historical and social progression of HIV in the gay community.

I wanted to hear your stories (if you are gay and a HIV carrier)

The idea is its not the 1980's so how does the virus affect your life?
I have had people telling me its a blessing in disguise and others who feel distraught but I really need to speak to as many people as possible to get a real feel of modern HIV carriers lives.

This is a nuetral study no judgement will be made, participants can remain anonomous and we could even do it by email but i really need your help.

so if your happy to tell me your story please do

Fiona

Hi and welcome to the site.

Your dissertation sounds really interesting their should be some people on here who should be able to help you..

fiona Wrote:The basis of the dissertation is its not 1980's things have changes whats the world like now for carriers. Its completly nuetral and all I am looking for is your story !
Smile

Except for not really being clear on your basis of your dissertation, wow, what a run on sentence ya got there Party Party Party

for a short time in the 80s I had a mysterious health issue. My grandmothers doc diagnosed, he DIAGNOSED me with HIV by my appearance, LOL... He called my uni, a major research medical uni, and told him of his DIAGNOSIS. I went thru the tests. At the time I was told that the test was something like $125,000. Everyone was very nice. I will never forget how wonderful the main research physician was... but the other staff was a bit nervous, nice but putting on 5 sets of gloves to take my blood hehehe...

It turned out that I had a very rare form or mono which was nearly thru its course by the time I was DIAGNOSED with HIV...

Just last year I saw my HIV doc on tv. He was the main witness in front of the USA Senate on HIV. He was still the most amazing gentleman beaming with care.

So, for a short time I had HIV but not really Baby2

Hi Fiona,

I'm a little confused about exactly what you're looking for...

"Historical and cultural changes in HIV"?

Do you mean the changes in society? public opinion? funding? treatment? the virus itself?

"The basis of the dissertation is its not 1980's things have changes whats the world like now for carriers"

It's not the 1980's, things have to change...

Bit of a redundant question to be honest. Things have changed considerably, and perhaps better to focus on these changes.

I'd be happy to put you in touch with some friends who live with the virus - but you'll need to define your area of research.

Cris x

fiona Wrote:I have had people telling me its a blessing in disguise

WoW, I dont know if you can share this opinion as it is the very first time I have EVER heard of such an opinion... Dont want to destroy your work by biasing it and having you openly discuss it here but would really love to hear how folk believe it is a blessing in disguise Coffee

sweetlad86 Wrote:Hi and welcome to the site.

Your dissertation sounds really interesting. There should be some people on here who should be able to help you..

Yes, Sweets, but who??? :confused: Who do we know from here who's a 'sufferer'?

princealbertofb Wrote:Yes, Sweets, but who??? :confused: Who do we know from here who's a 'sufferer'?

I meant in away that even if don't nothing about it we can still discuss the better....

Peepwall

I've heard of this, but, urm, well it seems an odd idea to me. I never met anyone suffering from it who thought this but there seems to be a group who, I don't know, appreciate it? Seems to range from folks being glad of the forced change of perspective to the downright oddness of "gift-giving/receiving", which I thought was an urban myth. Turns out...no. :confused: Might be worth taking a look at that.

fjp999 Wrote:WoW, I dont know if you can share this opinion as it is the very first time I have EVER heard of such an opinion... Dont want to destroy your work by biasing it and having you openly discuss it here but would really love to hear how folk believe it is a blessing in disguise Coffee

fjp999 Wrote:WoW, I dont know if you can share this opinion as it is the very first time I have EVER heard of such an opinion... Dont want to destroy your work by biasing it and having you openly discuss it here but would really love to hear how folk believe it is a blessing in disguise Coffee
Yea right strange way of looking at a life treating illness.
Hello and Welcome

Here we go again............ another student another dissertation (sometimes is a questionnaire/essay) who sees gay community as subject for research and gayspeak the ground for that. It is boring and offensive to me as a gay man to be treated as a statistic for all the illeneses social and physical ones and i cannot be polite any more. Go to HIV clinics, talk to HIV patients face to face if they want to talk to you and do your dissertation, thats how it is done! Good luck with your degree but no thanks (including the pint/coffee).
On the other hand if YOU want to share your story you are welcome to do so and be listened in a different mode.