Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cats among pigeons
To avoid interfering with another thread I'll post this one here.

One occasionally hears stories about scientists who have a religious faith having that faith borrowed by others as some kind of evidence that god exists. While Einstein and others have had to endure the ignominy of having their words twisted for these ends I was interested to read this news about David Attenborough on the the Orange website today.

Quote:[B]Sir David Attenborough may be one of TV’s more harmless broadcasters. But the wildlife presenter has revealed he receives hate mail – from hardcore Christians who are angry that he doesn’t credit God for the beauty of nature.
“They tell me to burn in hell and good riddance,” the 82-year-old star told the Radio Times, adding that the less threatening letters criticise him for not “giving credit” to God. “They always mean beautiful things like hummingbirds. I always reply by saying that I think of a little child in East Africa with a worm burrowing through his eyeball.”
“The worm cannot live in any other way, except by burrowing through eyeballs. I find that hard to reconcile with the notion of a divine and benevolent creator.”

Attenborough, who presents natural selection documentary Charles Darwin and the Tree of Life on BBC1 this week, has said he considers himself an agnostic and opposes the teaching of creationism in schools alongside evolution, as if they were equally valid viewpoints.
“It never really occurred to me to believe in God - and I had nothing to rebel against, my parents told me nothing whatsoever,” he explained. “But I do remember looking at my headmaster delivering a sermon, a classicist, extremely clever... and thinking, ‘he can't really believe all that, can he? How incredible!’”
[/B]

Wink

The people who sent the hate mail are the same people who think the world was made only 6000 years ago lol........

Enough said I think lmao.......

Rofl

BTW I don't mean voicing your own opinions though LMFAO......

Boo Hiss I have no love for anybody who is so set in their in their in their belief system, where there is no compromising in their way of thinking. Plus, they insist on pushing their bent way of thinking upon the rest of us.

I know that this post is indirectly linked to your thread Marshy and I hope you don't mind me posting but did you hear about that Catholic Bishop who doubts the Holocaust and said that it never happened...............

Unbelievable!!!!

Back to your original post

Quote:“They tell me to burn in hell and good riddance,” the 82-year-old star told the Radio Times, adding that the less threatening letters criticise him for not “giving credit” to God. “They always mean beautiful things like hummingbirds. I always reply by saying that I think of a little child in East Africa with a worm burrowing through his eyeball.”
That's a good reply.....
Xyxthumbs

Star Twister Wrote:I know that this post is indirectly linked to your thread Marshy and I hope you don't mind me posting but did you hear about that Catholic Bishop who doubts the Holocaust and said that it never happened...............

Unbelievable!!!!

Back to your original post

That's a good reply.....
Xyxthumbs

Yes, I've heard of that bishop and I'm afraid he is French... Stupid asshole!

princealbertofb Wrote:Yes, I've heard of that bishop and I'm afraid he is French... Stupid asshole!

Bravo princealbertofb Knuddel

Star Twister Wrote:I know that this post is indirectly linked to your thread Marshy and I hope you don't mind me posting but did you hear about that Catholic Bishop who doubts the Holocaust and said that it never happened...............

Unbelievable!!!!
Unfortunately, not so unbelievable. All it takes is for a charismatic and convincing "leader" to say something often enough for those who are not so discerning to start believing. Whereas many see belief as a shortcut to a truth it is the journey on the longer route that usually brings more enlightenment.

For anyone interested, the latest on this story is here.

Interesting. I would not have thought of Pope Benedict as someone to lift an excommunication on an otherwise orthodox and moderate Catholic (apart from the original reason for excommunication), let alone this character.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Pope Benedict was he not a former N*** him self so he should know that they existed.