Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you ever troll your readers?
Working on my book and I had an idea to troll my readers. It's not plot relevant, but it's funny in my head. It wouldn't get annoying either, just something that would beg the readers for more information, but I would never give it.

Definately troll. A little misguidance is the only way to keep it from becoming predictable. Missing information adds to the experience.

Well, it's not exactly trolling. It's just a literary resource the author can use to his pleasing.

You know...you made me remember "Niebla" by Miguel de Unamuno, in which the main character gets tired of his life and, in a bizarre turn of events, goes to visi thre author and demands that he is written differently!

The author (this is all happening in the book) tells him to basically suck it. He is the author and the guy is just his creation so he can do whatever the hell he pleases with him.

The author is reminding us readers, through his speech to the main character, that he is control, not everyone else.
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

Those are some interesting things to keep in mind, but this is more of referring to a character that will never ever be in a scene. He'd just keep getting referenced to like he's important and the readers would want to meet him but never would.

Do it. Have your readers wait for Godot

To sum it up: You're the author, you can do whatever the hell you want.

I would definitely mess up with some people :biggrin:
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

I'm worry, but I have no idea what you mean by trolling. Can you elaborate?

A troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion, often for their own amusement.

That's from Wikipedia...couldn't post the link directly. If you ever read the comments on political meme on FB you will see trolls all over the place.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!