Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My all time favourite comedian
Some of you will know him, some of not but for me he was the greatest of all the silent era comedians. This might explain why:

"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

He was indeed a genius.

There is one sketch he did in his later years where he is seated at a lunch counter and drinking a cup of coffee with someone seated beside him. The scene is filmed several times as the coffee cup slips and spills on his sandwich. His timing is impeccable. You can never tell when the cup will spill but it is always hilarious. I think he picks up the sandwich and wrings it out at least once.
I bid NO Trump!

The Goat is one of my favorite movies. That train scene they showed in the beginning of that clip you posted... that blew my mind when I first saw it. Then he lights his cigarette off the engine.. Its great.

Emiliano Wrote:The Goat is one of my favorite movies. That train scene they showed in the beginning of that clip you posted... that blew my mind when I first saw it. Then he lights his cigarette off the engine.. Its great.

Is that the one where he jus seated on the cowcatcher and throws a log to dislodge another log on the track? As Ljay has said, his timing is impeccable.

LJay Wrote:He was indeed a genius.

There is one sketch he did in his later years where he is seated at a lunch counter and drinking a cup of coffee with someone seated beside him. The scene is filmed several times as the coffee cup slips and spills on his sandwich. His timing is impeccable. You can never tell when the cup will spill but it is always hilarious. I think he picks up the sandwich and wrings it out at least once.

I am so glad that there are others like me who recognise that as a comedian, he was a genius. I know of no other who had timing like his.

Alto Wrote:When I clicked on this thread I had a feeling it would be Buster Keaton, I really haven't watched much of his work but I love Chaplain so I think I shall try some Keaton
https://media.giphy.com/media/kTwfBYHwxqzLi/giphy.gif

Good luck with Chaplin. I have always believed that he was/is vastly overrated.

I love Chaplin and Keaton. They were very different types of artists and comedians, and between the two of them I think they covered the human experience. To me you cant make them compete with each other, because they compliment so perfectly.

Calling Chaplin overrated seems a little crazy to me, because if anything despite being iconic, i think hes a little underrated. I don't think many people realize that he was like 100% in creative control of everything he did - apparently he did everything down to the score, and in some cases, the makeup for the cast.

Have you ever seen Limelight?

[Image: still-of-buster-keaton-and-charles-chapl...(1952).jpg]

Its the only time they every worked together, because they were rivals in the day, and its kind of sad because they both play sort of pathetic aging clowns. And since it was a Chaplin film, he cut some of Keaton's best stuff - still maybe feeling that competitiveness even in their old age. I liked the whole movie, it was sad though, but their scene together is definitely worth the watch.

[Image: keaton_chaplin-1.jpg]
Thats the only photo from that era that I think they both are in...

I also really like Fatty Arbuckle. But the silent comedian I never understood the appeal to was Harold Lloyd. I liked Speedy, but I don't know.. he just doesnt have the same charm or artistry in my opinion.

Emiliano Wrote:I love Chaplin and Keaton. They were very different types of artists and comedians, and between the two of them I think they covered the human experience. To me you cant make them compete with each other, because they compliment so perfectly.

Calling Chaplin overrated seems a little crazy to me, because if anything despite being iconic, i think hes a little underrated. I don't think many people realize that he was like 100% in creative control of everything he did - apparently he did everything down to the score, and in some cases, the makeup for the cast.

Have you ever seen Limelight?

[Image: still-of-buster-keaton-and-charles-chapl...(1952).jpg]

Its the only time they every worked together, because they were rivals in the day, and its kind of sad because they both play sort of pathetic aging clowns. And since it was a Chaplin film, he cut some of Keaton's best stuff - still maybe feeling that competitiveness even in their old age. I liked the whole movie, it was sad though, but their scene together is definitely worth the watch.

[Image: keaton_chaplin-1.jpg]
Thats the only photo from that era that I think they both are in...

I also really like Fatty Arbuckle. But the silent comedian I never understood the appeal to was Harold Lloyd. I liked Speedy, but I don't know.. he just doesnt have the same charm or artistry in my opinion.

We'll have to agree to disagree Emiliano. I just find Chaplin to be very unfunny, he just doesn't make me laugh. I have never understood his appeal.