Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nemesis, the Sun's Twin
Do you suppose that Sol, (the systematic name of our Sun) has a Binary Twin?

What evidence is there to support this?

I haven't read anything on the sort.

Without any hardcore information, I say it's quite unlikely, the other star would have been picked up by telescopes a long time ago, if not by our own eyes.
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

k ..........

Nope.
We would of seen it, or in the very least, seen evidence of it's presence.(Extra solar radiation, a more noticeable wobble to the sun, ETC)
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

^ That is one important thing to notice, the sun would be constantly moving, orbiting around the gravity center between it and the other star. So far no such movement (as far as I know) has been detected on this star.

...perhaps because of all the spiraling and cosmic forces at work in space, like relativity and all, that Proxima Centauri might be our Sun's twin fraternal sister?

omg, this makes sense! all of it, Apollo the sun-god and Artemis a.k.a. Nemesis, her twin sister! damn ...

thawoods Wrote:...perhaps because of all the spiraling and cosmic forces at work in space, like relativity and all, that Proxima Centauri might be our Sun's twin fraternal sister?

In Binary systems stars are never that far from each other. Proxima Centauri and the Sun would have to be orbiting around a common gravity center and so far nothing indicates that to be the case.

Insertnamehere Wrote:In Binary systems stars are never that far from each other. Proxima Centauri and the Sun would have to be orbiting around a common gravity center and so far nothing indicates that to be the case.

...but I already mentioned Einstein's theory of relativity, and you know how heavy objects distort time and space, much more two stars that orbit one another!

thawoods Wrote:...but I already mentioned Einstein's theory of relativity, and you know how heavy objects distort time and space, much more two stars that orbit one another!

Precisely, woodsie. That's why if our sun was part of a binary system, we would witness the grativational effects of the second star both on our planets and on the sun, don't yout think?

The other star in question needs to be a whole lot closer than 4 LY to engage into a binary system, all of which makes everything else a wee bit iirelevant, we would SEE it.

Now, is this some idea you had or does it have some foundation upon some research?