Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Impress your friends with your vocabulary
Impress your friends by using this word when appropriate. I went to some trouble to try to see if there was a word for this phenomenon, and, of course, there is. I Googled "the smell of rain."
----------------------------------------------------------------

petrichor

PRONUNCIATION:
(PET-ri-kuhr)

MEANING:
noun: The pleasant smell that accompanies the first rain after a dry spell.

ETYMOLOGY:
Coined by researchers I.J. Bear and R.G. Thomas in 1964, from Greek petros (stone) + ichor (the fluid that supposedly flows in the veins of the gods in Greek mythology).

USAGE:
“They declared that they have found the earthy scent of petrichor, as if it was secretly drizzling in some deep corner of the city undetected by meteorologists. And when it rained on Monday, they smiled with pride and said: ‘I told you so.’”
Eye on Sky; The Times of India (New Delhi); Mar 17, 2016.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Im liable to get a slap for showing off with big words if I came out with " Petrichor " with my work mates, and it would definitely cause a commotion if you put it down in a game of scrabble Smile

I like a music artist called Petrichor, never knew that's what the name meant!

I like that smell. I think I can sometimes smell when it's going to rain.

himself Wrote:I like that smell. I think I can sometimes smell when it's going to rain.
Are you able to smell the rain over those pits?

Well,,, I was at this Bukkaka event for senior citizens last night and afterwords I could distinctly smell the fresh aroma of yellow rain all around me!!! Would that be considered "petrichor"..........

Even crazier than normal,
Jimeroooo
We Have Elvis !!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CVHmjgOWwAAhw2w.jpg

jimcrackcorn Wrote:Well,,, I was at this Bukkaka event for senior citizens last night and afterwords I could distinctly smell the fresh aroma of yellow rain all around me!!! Would that be considered "petrichor"..........

Even crazier than normal,
Jimeroooo

Depends whether it is falling on dry ground.

Cridders88 Wrote:Depends whether it is falling on dry ground.

Hahaha,,,,

It was dry for a while (big grin)............... <fleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee>
We Have Elvis !!

Well, for those poetical amongst us, there is the passage in Second
Samuel 23 describing that moment:

He that ruleth over men must be just, ruling in the fear of God. And he shall be as the light of the morning, when the sun riseth, even a morning without clouds; as the tender grass springing out of the earth by clear shining after rain.
I bid NO Trump!