Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Class Divided
The video has strong language. Watch at your own discretion. The video is almost an hour, need to watch it in its entirety. I think it raises very good points and is very much relevant to what we have going on today with all the craziness...

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/class-divided/
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Its an interesting experiment and an educational experience that I'm sure stuck with those kids their whole lives.
What about it did you find most interesting or relevant to the modern era?

Meh, I sadly must say I find it boring, and that's without even watching the video and solely because:

Discriminatory behaviours are both natural and taught.

This is akin to the man who tried to cure Stutters, by telling somes kids they did and others they didn't;

And so the kids he did tell stuttered, began to stutter, whereas the kids he didn't and encouraged, never developed and in some cases reduced their stutter.

So if you tell a kid or show a kid something, it then all boils down to "Mind over Matter";

Like Black kids raised by White parents, who have identity crisis,
Or kids exhibiting homosexual behaviour or desires, struggling in a restrictive environment.

I'm both Gay and mulatto (mixed/creole/etc) from a Religious, Caribbean/Atlantian island: so I can speak from direct experience;

Its common basic sense.

It just seems America just either didn't catch on or turned a blind eye on it;
Because its probably the only most "advanced" nation in the world, that still suffers from some of the most simple social issues.

Sheep

Emiliano Wrote:Its an interesting experiment and an educational experience that I'm sure stuck with those kids their whole lives.
What about it did you find most interesting or relevant to the modern era?

We still need it. I think it goes beyond racism...I mean look at Trump supporters, they want to ban Muslims from entering the country...same kind of hate it's because they're Muslim, wear "strange" hats and all the rumors. I mean it's the same kind of crap that went on with black people 60 some years ago... Think about the mentality....they're not normal people, they don't believe what I believe, all terrorists are Muslim...What I believe is just and right... << That sounds a lot like the teacher to me...

When it comes to the issue of racism, yeah we still have it... I think the problem is the average white person never experiences being discriminated against, maybe one time or another... but nothing like what they did in the classroom. I think the kids seen very clearly the problem and have allowed them to not be judgmental over the subjective...we definitely need more than that.

The problem is that while it would appear to be a simple fix, just treat everyone with the same respect you do everyone else...it is difficult if not impossible to get the people who are spreading the hate to see the forest before the trees. It will be a long time before we get there, if we ever get there. I think as long as we're dependent on corporate media to get our news and current events we're going to likely see more hate and regression, because after all division in a society is both profitable and easier to control.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Sylph Wrote:So if you tell a kid or show a kid something, it then all boils down to "Mind over Matter";

Like Black kids raised by White parents, who have identity crisis,
Or kids exhibiting homosexual behaviour or desires, struggling in a restrictive environment.

I'm both Gay and mulatto (mixed/creole/etc) from a Religious, Caribbean/Atlantian island: so I can speak from direct experience;

Its common basic sense.

It just seems America just either didn't catch on or turned a blind eye on it;
Because its probably the only most "advanced" nation in the world, that still suffers from some of the most simple social issues.

Sheep

Im interested in what you're saying but I also have a foggy mind today. Is it that you're saying a lot of social issues in the USA could be solved through mind over matter? And what did you mean in the example of a black child raised in a white family, or a gay person in a restricting environment?

[MENTION=15656]Sylph[/MENTION] Parts of America didn't catch on...I do feel that all the trouble really comes from a very small portion of the population...however, what people tell you isn't how they act either..
Check out my stuff!

Emiliano Wrote:Im interested in what you're saying but I also have a foggy mind today. Is it that you're saying a lot of social issues in the USA could be solved through mind over matter? And what did you mean in the example of a black child raised in a white family, or a gay person in a restricting environment?

いいえ
もう一度言う
Sheep

Problems are caused by way of the "Mind over Matter" conundrum in children, due to societal ineptitudes, like European distaste of Muslims and American distaste for pretty much everyone else but them:

Stereotypically speaking: and that by in lies the problem itself.

And as for Gay kids and Black kids raised by White parents and vice versa:

It's simply a matter of a physical to existential disconnect;

"White Parents can raise any child of course, but their child is not White"
So the child can develop a disconnect between who they are as their parents raised them as and the physical reality of their biology in contrast.

The typical American black, doesn't have straight hair, so that is the most common and readily identifiable cause of a disconnect between having parents with straight hair and you, having coarse and curly hair.

It's a plethora of issues, but it's these that can attend to the stratification of racial identity and "importance", notably in America.

I can't solve nor root the Problem, but merely identify that it exists in America and state so unbiased, as I am not American myself.

axle2152 Wrote:[MENTION=15656]Sylph[/MENTION] Parts of America didn't catch on...I do feel that all the trouble really comes from a very small portion of the population...however, what people tell you isn't how they act either..

Simply darling:

"It's not the size of the bat, but the power behind the swing"

Surely such a metaphor isn't lost on ya?

It doesn't matter how many people say or do a thing, but the levity and weight behind that 'thing' which makes it important and even more importantly;

Identifiable.

Especially to foreign bitches, like myself Sheep

Sylph Wrote:Simply darling:

"It's not the size of the bat, but the power behind the swing"

Surely such a metaphor isn't lost on ya?

It doesn't matter how many people say or do a thing, but the levity and weight behind that 'thing' which makes it important and even more importantly;

Identifiable.

Especially to foreign bitches, like myself Sheep

Oh no...and not saying an issue like this shouldn't be in the spotlight because it is 2016...why are we having the same sort of issue that should have been resolved 50 years ago? People who hate teach their kids the same bad values...thus the problem persists...
Check out my stuff!

axle2152 Wrote:Oh no...and not saying an issue like this shouldn't be in the spotlight because it is 2016...why are we having the same sort of issue that should have been resolved 50 years ago? People who hate teach their kids the same bad values...thus the problem persists...

Eh, you get out what you put in.

No country, culture and especially person, is without flaw;

However, when a culture is predicated upon one such as the pilgrimage that founded America, it's merely inevitable. What I consider a flaw, you simply may not, due to cultural difference and thisssss my dear is where the problem does and will always exist.

Americans and whomever else realistically speaking, who are in search of a foreseeable utopia, will be sadly let down;

But if differences could be celebrated and appreciated, rather than made to conform into nomenclature (I.e America), then perhaps harmonious cohabitation could occur.

But trying to insistently bind people together under the pretense of being "all one", is a folly.

It will only sow disdain, as separate cultures will try to dominate others.

Hence why most people dislike America.

I am only speaking logistically of course; I only love my island and like other places, but hate none Cat3