Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swine influenza
Not really a fun topic but its everywhere and one cannot ignore it.After undertaking a brief research,I found out that this is in fact not the first time it has happened with countries like the US,Philippines having had a brush with it prior.Anyhow the city in which this case originated,Mexico City,is basically under quarantine already as many other regions in the world report familiar cases.Nothing as yet has been reported in Afrique du Sud but with our relatively high livestock-keeping rural population,we are are highly vulnerable.Don't get me started on the rest of Africa.As the strain is not curable but treatable,where do you guys see this going?I'm hoping that it doesnt progress any further,a pandemic would truly fuck up our Confederations Cup in a month's time.

Dan1089 Wrote:As the strain is not curable but treatable

In truth no strain of the flu is 'curable'.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

I heard somewhere that it originated from a guy doing the "deed" with a pig. That true?

Latitude22 Wrote:I heard somewhere that it originated from a guy doing the "deed" with a pig. That true?

Simple answer no.

Latitude22 Wrote:I heard somewhere that it originated from a guy doing the "deed" with a pig. That true?

CardShark Wrote:Simple answer no.

Well, it could be true but THE guy would have had to kiss the pig Remybussi

FINGERS CROSSED THAT IT IS GONG TO BE LIKE SARS:

Quote:There has been one near pandemic to date, between November 2002 and July 2003, with 8,096 known infected cases and 774 deaths (a case-fatality rate of 9.6%) worldwide... Within a matter of weeks in early 2003, SARS spread from the Guangdong province of China to rapidly infect individuals in some 37 countries around the world...

Seems like everyone has their own name for the virus as the name "swine flu" implies that pork meat is unsafe.

I dont see why they couldn't stop everyone coming in the UK or leaving mexico untill they are tested!

CardShark Wrote:I dont see why they couldn't stop everyone coming in the UK or leaving mexico untill they are tested!
Pretty unlikely!

marshlander Wrote:Pretty unlikely!

Why not you could end up saving thousands of lives.

CardShark Wrote:Why not you could end up saving thousands of lives.
Maybe, but unlikely. Imposition of such a ban would probably cause far more chaos than the illness, specially in the short term. I am aware that people have lost loved ones during this outbreak, but we are nowhere near a situation yet for the authorities to be able to justify such measures.