Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Psychic Energy
Background; From Wikipedia:

Energy (psychological)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mental energy or psychic energy is a concept in some psychological theories or models of a postulated unconscious mental functioning on a level between biology and consciousness.

Philosophical accounts[edit]
The idea harks back to Aristotle's conception of actus et potentia. "Energy" here used in the literal meaning of "activity" or "operation". Henry More, in his 1642 Psychodia platonica; or a platonicall song of the soul, defined an "energy of the soul" as including "every phantasm of the soul". Julian Sorell Huxley defines "mental energy" as "the driving forces of the psyche, emotional as well as intellectual" (On living in a revolution xv.192, 1944).

Psychoanalytic accounts[edit]
In The Ego and the Id, Freud argued that the id was the source of the personality's desires, and therefore of the psychic energy that powered the mind.[1] Freud defined libido as the instinct energy or force. Freud later added the death drive (also contained in the id) as a second source of mental energy.

In 1928, Carl Jung published a seminal essay entitled "On Psychic Energy". Later, the theory of psychodynamics and the concept of "psychic energy" was developed further by those such as Alfred Adler and Melanie Klein.

Just as physical energy acts upon physical objects, psychological energy would act upon psychological entities, i.e. thoughts. Psychological energy and force are the basis of an attempt to formulate a scientific theory according to which psychological phenomena would be subject to precise laws akin to how physical objects are subject to Newton's laws. This concept of psychological energy is completely separate and distinct from (or even opposed to) the mystical eastern concept of spiritual energy.

In 1874, the concept of "psychodynamics" was proposed with the publication of Lectures on Physiology by German physiologist Ernst Wilhelm von Brücke who, in coordination with physicist Hermann von Helmholtz, one of the formulators of the first law of thermodynamics (conservation of energy), supposed that all living organisms are energy-systems also governed by this principle. During this year, at the University of Vienna, Brücke served as supervisor for first-year medical student Sigmund Freud who adopted this new "dynamic" physiology. In his Lectures on Physiology, Brücke set forth the then-radical view that the living organism is a dynamic system to which the laws of chemistry and physics apply.[2]

The origins of Freud's basic model, based on the fundamentals of chemistry and physics, according to John Bowlby, stems from Brücke, Meynert, Breuer, Helmholtz, and Herbart.[3]

The Myers–Briggs Type Indicator divides people into 16 categories based on whether certain activities leave them feeling energized or drained of energy.

Neuroscientific accounts[edit]
Mental energy has been repeatedly compared to or connected with the physical quantity energy.

Studies of the 1990s to 2000s (and earlier) have found that mental effort can be measured in terms of increased metabolism in the brain.[4] The modern neuroscientific view is that brain metabolism, measured by functional magnetic resonance imaging or positron emission tomography, is a physical correlate of mental activity.

-------------------------

I thought it might be interesting to post a topic about psychic energy. My mom and sister are both psychologists, and I often read from textbooks that feature theorists like Freud, Jung and Fromm. Although it is just a theory there was a statement there that I found to be reasonable like: "All is energy and wherever you put this energy to use is what the outcome depends on, the psyche is no different." So what I'm getting is, the mind has energy and we use this energy everyday to "do" or "carry stuff out", so the process can be done or that, as a form of energy, mental/psychic energy can be converted to other forms of energy or even matter, whether this be directly or indirectly (bah, i need more training in formal English lol). How do you think knowledge about this topic can be helpful to someone?

Well, for one, it assists in the promotion of optimism.

That said? I agree with the theory that everything is energy. Positive energy, and negative energy. There needs to be a balance, yeah? I agree it can be directed in various ways.

One of the simplest? An example...

Lighten someone's day by giving a smile or a helping hand. That kindness is a form of positive energy passed on to the recipient. The energy alters their day in some way and they pass it on to others (through smiles, or good attitudes, or doing something good, etc.) Negative energy can be passed the same way.

This includes a lot of theory about physics, math, astronomy, biology and some other science and studies to merge together to can give a proper answer... but now I don't have the energy to write about that all. lol

Resume, the universe itself is energy, we use energy, so we are energy, so you're right.