Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chaos at the Oscars
TYhe wrong picture (La La Land) was announced as Best Picture and this was modified minutes later as "Moonlight".

https://uk.yahoo.com/movies/warren-beatt...55279.html

Personally I think that "La La Land" is a vastly overhyped picture and would have been undeserving as Best Picture but whether "·Moonlight" won on political grounds I'm not sure.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Accidents happen even at the best and most well-coordinated events. You see a lot of it in the entertainment industry. Just because this is a very high-profile event doesn't make any difference. This shouldn't be made much of. Simple mistake, it happened, move on.

I'm glad Arrival got the Best Sound Editing. It deserved it. However, it also deserved Best Picture, in my opinion, and Best Director. I don't agree those others were better.
''Do I look civilized to you?''

I was thinking the other day how it seems like stuff like this never happened in the old days, and how much I catch errors, mistakes, and misspelling in media these days. There's such a rush to grind out new content that its quantity over quality. Now we joke about alternative facts, where at one time everything had to be factual and accurate.

It's nice to hear Moonlight won. I thought it was great, I'd never seen a film like that before. Not only in the subject manner, which is ground breaking itself, but also in the pacing. There was something deeply poetic/rhythmic about it and had thought provoking observations on masculinity. The actors did an amazing job across the board, and it was visually beautiful as well.

There's no reason to question whether or not it was chosen for so called political purposes. It's a great film and absolutely deserved Best Picture.

Emiliano Wrote:There's no reason to question whether or not it was chosen for so called political purposes. It's a great film and absolutely deserved Best Picture.

I don't doubt you [MENTION=21558]Emiliano[/MENTION]. The only reason I mentiond possible political motives was after last year's debacle about the all white Oscars. I wonder how much the voters were swayed by that?
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Who even cares about the Oscars anymore. The privileged given themselves pats on the back for a job well done, and being courageous to speak "truth to power" where it isn't likely to cause any negative effect on their lives. Well, unless they piss of their fans, then they might just be out of a job.

Whole thing is a big circle jerk.

LONDONER Wrote:I don't doubt you [MENTION=21558]Emiliano[/MENTION]. The only reason I mentiond possible political motives was after last year's debacle about the all white Oscars. I wonder how much the voters were swayed by that?

My saying that wasn't totally a direct response to you. I know what you meant, that's exactly what I was speaking to. It's that idea that the Academy or whatever might have felt pressure to reward "black films" this year in order to prove how diverse they are, that bothers me. I'm sure many people feel that way, I don't know, maybe it is that way. I didn't watch it, but obviously I know now that La La Land was mistakenly first called the winner. And even that slip up, in some minds, might contribute to some of those feelings too.

It's just a shame that such an excellent film is potentially clouded by the idea that it might have been given the award vs that it earned the award. It's not something we as a culture tend to do when it comes to the success of "white films".

But it's a good thing that Moonlight is getting the recognition it deserves. I think it was a meaningful win. Critically I know it got a lot of attention, but in other circles it didn't seem to. Race and identity is an integral and central part of that movie, it wouldn't have been so ground breaking had it focused on a non black protagonist. But, just because it is so about the American black male experience, doesn't mean there aren't universal lessons to be drawn from it, or that the characters and their struggles are something non black people couldnt relate to.

I stopped following the Oscars after the Hurt Locker won 6.

looks like i'm not alone...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-fe...ers-980854

I've not seen many films like Moonlight before. I thought it stated a point in a very subdued way, and a very real, authentic casual / emotional way. Understated like so much of the ''on the down low'' culture, but profounder than that.