Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Logo's Fire Island
http://www.advocate.com/commentary/2017/...al-decline

Opinions on this article? Is this accurate.
I believe this show is painting us in a negative light. Tell me what you all think.

Well that all depends. If you're gay and are into shows like that you probably will enjoy it and likely not see it that way. On the other hand, yes, I think it does exploit stereotypes about gay guys, same sort of crap they do with other shows like Big Brother and Survivor and all the crap that is on MTV. People who have shoestring IQ's do buy in that what is on these shows is real life and that's the way to be, most of us are probably drawn in for the drama and excitement. So it really just depends on how you look at it...and who's watching. My guess GOP supporters in general will just say that that's the reason 'Merica is going down the drain...
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

It looks like it is full of typical stereotypes, and I fucking hate that.

The only way people of differing sexuality are going to be integrated and accepted in to society as equals is to be have like equals.

All this mardis gras and in your face protesting has had it's day and it has served it's purpose, now 'the community' which I want no part of, is flaunting there sexuality and as far as I am concerned running around half naked leaving very little to the imagination and/or wearing anything BDSM in public is fucking offensive.

I don't care what your sexuality it, overt displays of sexuality or anything that pertains to sexual activity is best left in the bedroom.

Reality TV needs to die because it does nothing but perpetuate myths and stereotypes.

I think the author of the article is wearing his big boy pants to no particularly effective end.
I bid NO Trump!

InbetweenDreams Wrote:People who have shoestring IQ's do buy in that what is on these shows is real life and that's the way to be,

Hey...That's a backhanded insult to shoestrings...at least they manage to hold something together Smile

deephiance Wrote:Hey...That's a backhanded insult to shoestrings...at least they manage to hold something together Smile

I think what I meant was shoe size lol
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

I agree with the article and what's been expressed in this thread for the most part. Representation matters.

But why do we see such a limited portrayal of gay men in media? What are these stereotypes and why are they perpetuated and reinforced by our entertainment?

And I'm curious if anyone has examples of tv shows or movies that they think break the mold in terms of how gay characters are represented.

Alexander- It seems like they were mostly bisexual and they killed people which is good given the context.

Starz spartacus- This was an extremely gay series and those guys were gladiators, far from sissies.

Game of Thrones- Oberyn is multi-sexual and he is a good warrior, Yara is a lesbian and she is pretty tough.

Black Sails- Captain Flint is a homo.

I guess those are positive depictions

Yeah this has nothing to do with gay people or the LGBT community.
Basically the internet is screwing traditional T.V in the same way it's already fucked over the newspapers.

Nexflix, Youtube, twitch, Hulu and a thousand other services are all taking a big bite out of the casual entertainment market T.V used to dominate. This mass exodus from T.V is led by intelligent youth. Which has led to networks to chase the demographics by dumbing down their content which has driven more intelligent audiences away forcing networks to get even dumber and so on and so on in a vicious downward spiral.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&...EdHO91e13Q

Everyone is getting this sort of treatment. Not just LGBT.

What we need is more positive representation. Plus I have to say it would be nice to see a gay main character in mainstream media.

The show isn't even out yet. You really can't tell anything from a trailer alone. For all you know, those scenes might not even get any actual screen time. It's not uncommon that takes used in trailers are not in the actual movies/shows they promote. Although, this being a reality TV, I wouldn't exactly expect anything better quality-wise.

However, what concerns the portrayal of gay men -- the producers are the ones who chose the individuals you see on the screen. You can tell during the interviews what kind of a 'character' any one person is going to be on the screen. They take the ones that are most likely to come off dramatic. And they want to create conflict and drama on the show, they gear it like that from the start. The only way to stop it, is if the gay men in the show refuse to do it. But there you go. They go along with it. They get paid. And they sell their reputation for it, money and ''fame''. What does that tell you about a person? I loathe reality shows for this, and I don't know why anyone with personal integrity would participate in them.

Reality TV leaves a bad impression on anyone cast in it, no matter the genre or the orientation/identity of the people in it.

Is this targeted at gay audiences only or for non-gay viewers as well?

PS. Fire Island is still a gay spot in the US? I don't know why, but I thought that was so in the past, and not anymore in the present...
''Do I look civilized to you?''