Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Acrylic Pouring
Well, I tried this for the first time. Hopefully the video is half-way decent didn't really edit and likewise was one take...

"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!
[-] The following 4 members Like InbetweenDreams's post:
  • andy, Bookworm, CellarDweller, Cridders88

This is something I never tried when I was at Art College. I do like the marbling effect though.

Yes, a little added water would have helped as it was quite thick and starting drying pretty quickly.
Trial and error though, you'll know to add more next time.  Thumbgrin

And to put more newspaper down on the floor too  Big Grin
<<<<I'm just consciousness having a human experience>>>>
[-] The following 1 member Likes Bookworm's post:
  • InbetweenDreams

@Bookworm Yeah I didn't have any newspaper on the floor...luckily I didn't have any spills. On a second though, probably should do it outside next time. I don't know what they actually add to the paints for acrylic paints sold for doing pouring. I'm cheap and just added water, could have used a touch more water for sure. It is still not completely dry yet...I think probably by tomorrow it should be thoroughly dry I think.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Gesso to thin the colors?
I bid NO Trump!
[-] The following 1 member Likes LJay's post:
  • InbetweenDreams

(08-03-2020, 01:54 AM)LJay Wrote: Gesso to thin the colors?

I think gesso has like a grit to it? I know a lot of people prep their canvases with gesso. But...

They make a paint medium for it, it's like milk...a bit thicker...like a melted milkshake I guess is one way to put it and you do a 1:1 ratio. So I treated myself to that and will try it out soon. I know it's not like art that you meticulously create and spend hours...days...weeks on (or longer) but it is a lot of fun and you get some neat results.
Check out my stuff!

Someone I used to live with did these. Some came out really well, some not so well. I really enjoyed seeing what she had done. I'm tempted to do some myself and I absolutely cannot draw or paint for my life! This would be a form of art I'd actually be able to manage I think Smile
[-] The following 1 member Likes Cridders88's post:
  • InbetweenDreams

(08-03-2020, 09:04 AM)Cridders88 Wrote: Someone I used to live with did these. Some came out really well, some not so well. I really enjoyed seeing what she had done. I'm tempted to do some myself and I absolutely cannot draw or paint for my life! This would be a form of art I'd actually be able to manage I think Smile

Well I followed the instructions on the jug of pouring medium, said to do a 1:1 mix and it was way too thin and the paints overmixed, so they didn't turn out too good. The first one was pretty dull and the 2nd one turned out better. It's fun, that's all it is and sometimes you get neat results.

I started watching Bob Ross (The Joy of Painting) and I just watched what he did.... I honestly started watching him as a means of meditation I guess, he's very relaxing to watch. I thought hey I used to like painting in art class and so on and thought I would try it. The first painting I did wasn't that great...

[Image: 3E71002D-7201-4920-AC8C-E5E05659F265.jpeg]

I can't draw either. The thing about painting, especially Bob's style (alla prima aka wet-on-wet) is you just do basic shapes. I've got halfway decent in painting landscapes, more so if I have a photograph to go by. I haven't tried plein air painting, which is where you go somewhere and paint the scenery, but it is something I want to try sometime...maybe when there is some cooler weather.

At any rate, you can paint but like anything else it does take some practice and if it is something you enjoy who cares what others think.
Check out my stuff!
[-] The following 2 members Like InbetweenDreams's post:
  • Bookworm, Cridders88

Well, here's how these turned out. I think the mixture was too thin, or maybe I'm not going about it the right way perhaps?

Check out my stuff!