Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you believe, and why?
Given that Atheism (lack of belief/faith in a god or gods) is the default position, what brought you to your religion/faith in a god/gods? And why do you continue on that path?

And if you WERE religious but are no longer, what made you return to Atheism?

I don't practice any religion (practice meaning going to any sorts of services) but I was raised in the Catholic faith, and I still believe in God.

I do feel very torn over that, however, and not just because of the Catholic's stance on the LGBTQ community. Just the things that are said in the bible and by religious leaders are so beyond belief.

If I say I believe in God, does that mean I have to agree that we all came from two people, that there was a talking snake in the magical garden, that two of every animal fit into an ark, and all the other things that have been said?

If I am asked, I say that I am spiritual. I do pray, but beyond that, I don't practice any religion. I will admit I've started to really get curious about Wicca, and as a kid I've always enjoyed the changes of the season, which seems to heavily influence the Wiccan religion.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

(05-31-2023, 08:59 PM)CellarDweller Wrote: and I still believe in God.

Why?

(05-31-2023, 08:59 PM)CellarDweller Wrote: If I say I believe in God, does that mean I have to agree that we all came from two people, that there was a talking snake in the magical garden, that two of every animal fit into an ark, and all the other things that have been said?

Then it falls to you to identify which god of which religion.

(05-31-2023, 08:59 PM)CellarDweller Wrote: If I am asked, I say that I am spiritual.
What does "spiritual" mean?

Spiritual means I believe there's a higher power. Why? It gives me peace.

(05-31-2023, 10:13 PM)CellarDweller Wrote: Spiritual means I believe there's a higher power.  Why?  It gives me peace.

How did you arrive at your conclusion that there is a higher power?

There is no proven conclusion, it's a belief. I have faith that the higher power is there.

It's not something that can be proven, so I won't be able to, nor give any reason for my faith, other than I was raised in it.

While I do believe in a higher power, I don't live my life to please it. I also don't believe that there is only one path to it. By that I mean, if someone practices Islam, I don't believe they are wrong because they don't follow Catholicism.

I also don't believe that one needs to follow any religion to be a "moral" person. There are people who don't practice any religion who are the best people, while those who do follow religions that have done cruel things to others.

(06-01-2023, 12:45 AM)CellarDweller Wrote: There is no proven conclusion, it's a belief.  I have faith that the higher power is there.

It's not something that can be proven, so I won't be able to, nor give any reason for my faith, other than I was raised in it.

While I do believe in a higher power, I don't live my life to please it.  I also don't believe that there is only one path to it.  By that I mean, if someone practices Islam, I don't believe they are wrong because they don't follow Catholicism.

I also don't believe that one needs to follow any religion to be a "moral" person.  There are people who don't practice any religion who are the best people, while those who do follow religions that have done cruel things to others.

But why can it not be proven? What if it could? The real question I am asking here is... do you care about truth?

Don't you want to believe as many true things as possible, and as few false things as possible? Does this belief guide your actions or decisions?

If there was evidence or reason to suggest your partner was cheating on you, would you just choose to believe that he is NOT cheating simply because it brings you peace?

Or if you were on the jury of a court case, assessing the evidence for a murder case; the evidence is insufficient to convict the suspect, but you think he looks guilty and his character unsettles you; it would bring you peace to convict him as guilty, would you?

Given that beliefs can guide are actions or decision, what else would you believe based on peace?

Yes, I care about the truth.

If I had a partner that was cheating, I would investigate it and act accordingly. Ignoring that is the opposite of peace.

As I said before, this is about faith, and I have faith there is a higher power. If it turns out that there isn't one, my faith in one existing hasn't hurt anyone.

(06-01-2023, 11:24 AM)CellarDweller Wrote: If I had a partner that was cheating, I would investigate it and act accordingly.  Ignoring that is the opposite of peace.

Some people do prefer to bury their heads in the sand in such cases as it brings them peace, or at least is MORE peaceful than finding out the potential painful truth. Like, the lesser of two evils.

(06-01-2023, 11:24 AM)CellarDweller Wrote: As I said before, this is about faith, and I have faith there is a higher power.  If it turns out that there isn't one, my faith in one existing hasn't hurt anyone.

What is faith then? And why not investigate it?

(06-01-2023, 11:48 AM)Scruff Bunch Wrote: Some people do prefer to bury their heads in the sand in such cases as it brings them peace, or at least is MORE peaceful than finding out the potential painful truth. Like, the lesser of two evils.

Yes, you are completely right about that, but I couldn't. I would always be wondering or worried about the truth, and it would eat at me.

(06-01-2023, 11:48 AM)Scruff Bunch Wrote: What is faith then? And why not investigate it?

To me, having faith is believing in the unseen. Trying to prove a higher power exists would be impossible, I believe. It would almost be like one of those paranormal investigation shows, which I'm always skeptical with.

Truth be told, I am often skeptical about religion as well, but I don't disbelieve so that's why I don't identify as atheist.